Dust Collector Piping Advice

I'm amazed at the variation in pricing and options for putting all the mechanical in for my dust collector in my small shop. I have 6 tools I'd like to collect from and a 3HP G0441 dust collector from Grizzly.

I've gotten quotes for spiral pipe and snap lock (hvac) pipe that range from $175 to $600. I've talked to local installers and they want $95 an hour for labor !

I know the snap lock pipe (if I'm using the right terminology) is suppose to be more difficult to work with but have no idea how much so.

Grizzly's piping is outrageously expensive and the sales people at Oneida I've found to be knowledgeable but pushy. Last I spoke to them, here's a quote "I'll design your piping for your Grizzly system (I never told them I bought a Grizzly), but it'll cost you $400". Not a business winning personality if you know what I mean.

One concern w/ less expensive pipe is for each of the Wye's that go to the individual tools, I want a sturdy place to be placing the pipe clamps for the flex hose.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

JR

Reply to
rosasco

Oh man, don't buy that spiral pipe for a home shop. Way too much buck for no bang.

I bought the snap pipe from HD (the thicker stuff... they had two locations in the store). Works great.

You can see it in action on various tools in my shop:

Larry Bud

I used PVC drain pipe. About $3.00/10 foot length. "y"s and "t"'s were about $5 each. Can't glue it but used silicon sealant in the joint and wrapped with duct tape. Works like a charm.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

-John in NH

Reply to
John Girouard

Great shop I'm jealous of the room!

Evon Barvinchack

the snap lock is easy to work with Just wear gloves to avoid accidents. Do not use the thin stuff at HD, if they have the heaver stuff get that.Do NOT use HVAC pipe (for the wyes) purchased at HD. look for a local industrial woodworking supply store near you or go to

I just went though this I my home shop I read all the opinions and different web sites on materials and finally bite the bullet and purchased four hundred dollars worth of pipe ,wyes,flexible hose ,ect to connect 8 machines

good luck and be careful puting in the system

len

Reply to
leonard

Nice setup!

What's the diameter of the snap pipe? 8" for the main run, with 6" runs to each tool?

How do you cut the snap pipe?

-jav

Reply to
Javier Henderson

I took the cheap route: 26 gauge snaplock pipe from HVACommerce.com ($5.66 for 5" x 5'), "economy" 26 gauge fittings from Penn State Industries, and I installed it myself. The snaplock really isn't hard to work with - there's a bit of a trick to snapping it, but you'll get the hang of it after a few pieces. Definitely not a $95/hr skill level. As far as attaching the flex hose, you'll amost certainly want a blast gate at each tool, so the hose will usually connect to the gate, not directly to the pipe.

$400 for design? Humph. This ain't rocket science, and you don't need CAD drawings with 0.001" precision. Spend $20 on a decent book, and you can do the pressure loss, airflow, and air velocity calculations yourself. If you don't feel like doing the math, it's a fairly safe bet that 5" pipe is the right size for an average hobby shop, using one machine at a time.

Reply to
kkfitzge

I got a great deal from a small local sheet metal shop on the y's (6-5-5, 5-5-4, 5-4-4) and heavy snap-lock I needed. Sorry, can't remember now what he charged, but after looking at Grizz and Oneida I about fell over at how cheap he was in comparison. You might get a few specs together and call around locally.

PDX David

Reply to
Jane & David

JR, what do you think about your G0441? You probably don't have it operating yet, but can you comment on the fit and finish? any regrets? I have the 5hp G0442 on backorder. Thanks.

Reply to
MrAnderson

Oneida-Air will do drawings for $50. It is free if you bought your dust collector from them. They will also credit the $50 if you buy in the future.

I don't know what they will do if you say you want plans for a different brand collector. I would just pick the Oneida-Air model with the closest airflow to your collector if you want them to do plans for a non-Oneida collector.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

JR, I noticed your reply to my previous post. I can't tell you how much it means to have input from someone who owns one of these new Grizzly cyclones. Still waffling between Oneida & Grizzly.

Reply to
MrAnderson

"I used PVC drain pipe. About $3.00/10 foot length. "

Me too, made my own blast gates, plans in one of the woodworking mags.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

If you're smart, you'll measure and cut with tin-snips before snapping it together.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

A couple of the shots looked like my pictures from a couple of years ago - the pegboard shot, for instance. I did a double take... ;-) It's long gone, however, having had to rebuild the walls and ceiling.

Suppose I'll have to put up a shop page one of these days... I have a few badly outdated projects pages and a CAD rendering of the shop, but no pictures...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

When I get around to it, I plan to use PVC S&D pipe. Stronger, smoother and cheaper than spiral or snap type pipe. If it's good enough for Mr. Pentz, it's good enough for me!

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I have used the PVC pipe for many years. No problems and very easy to make add, moves and changes. Pictures of my shop with the pipe in place.

TeamCasa

-jav

Reply to
Javier Henderson

I recently did some duct work and found that snapping the pipe together first, then using my sabre saw with a metal blade worked much better than the snips. Was much quicker and left a smooth cut.

Chris

Reply to
Algx

Wow, I wish I had thought of that. I did some metal duct work a while ago and used up a large supply of colorful vocabulary cutting the pieces. Your idea sounds like a winner compared to what I went through.

Reply to
Roy Smith