Dust Collection Set up

I'm getting excited, we're almost to the point where I can set up a shop in the former warehouse (aka garage). By summer, I ought to have enough set up to use the table saw indoors!
So, I'm thinking about dust collection systems. It seems to me the usual set up around here is a single collector (with some kind of cyclone) that runs to several tools. How is collection for a table saw be handled? I'm not a big fan of tripping over a hose while trying to cut plywood down to size.
Does anyone bother with dust collection for a drill press?
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.
On Dec 24, 2:27 am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I dropped a flex hose down from the ceiling in a place outside the range of any sheet of plywood that would pass over the saw table. I used a quick disconnect in the rare instances that I had to remove the hose to position a board on the table. As for the drill press, I had previously used my DC with a nozzle on the hose for most chip collection but now I have a remote actuated vacuum (Festool) that goes on with the drill press and the hose is small enough that it does not get in the way. It is a lot easier to make set ups without having the DC running all of the time, and unlike my larger tools, the power switch for my DC is not loacted near the drill press. Wishing you quick success with getting that shop running. Marc (And wishing all of you a Mrry Christmas too!!!!!)
Add pictures here
✖
marc rosen wrote:

Repeat after me...
"A Long Ranger remote is a fantastic value!"
I had to live without the remote for a month. It was a real drag...
Add pictures here
✖

That sounds like a good way to start. Maybe I'll run power to the TS the same way. If I miss the hose, I'll certainly miss the power cord.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.
✖

I suspect many people run the hose along the upper corners of the workshop and then bring the hose across the ceiling down to the machine in question.
Add pictures here
✖
Puckdropper wrote:

This system can be attached to a shop vac and wheeled around from tool to tool. The hose can be bent to where you need it and stays in place on its own so it doesn't need to be attached to the machine or otherwise held in place. There's a photo in LV's fall '08 flyer that shows the system attached to a shop vac.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pX751&cat=1,42401&ap=1
Add pictures here
✖

If you are really serious about DC, go here: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/Cyclone/Index.cfm
In a nutshell..
6" lines to every tool - sewer and drain pipe is good alternative to high cost spiral metal. A cyclone of Bill's or equivalent design (apparently there a quite a few cyclones that dont really work)
I ended up pretty much arranging my tools to accomodate dust collection. I have my TS, jointer, BS right next to each other. My jet cabinet saw is proving to be my biggest challenge (as will any compound miter saw be). I need to collect at the base and above the blade. They make nice fixtures for above the blade at about 1/3 the cost of the entire saw! I'm too cheap for that right now.
Add pictures here
✖

I've done something similar with a clamp. It works ok until I hit the hose and knock things loose.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.
✖
Puckdropper wrote:

I have a drop that connects to the standard saw outlet and a shop-made overarm collector. I still miss SOME dust, but I get enough.

I do with Forstner bits, sanding, or long production runs, but not for just a few holes. I have a quick connect on the 12" disc next to my DP. The outside of the QC is velcro wrapped, and the DP table has matching velcro. That drop uses an aluminum dryer hose that nearly stays in place on it's own.
Add pictures here
✖
Take a look at this Barry:
http://www.ptreeusa.com/dusthose.htm
Scroll down to "Stay Put Hose" ....neat and "fairly" cheap.
B A R R Y wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Pat Barber wrote:

Saw that at the woodworking show. Worked great.
--

-MIKE-

✖
Pat Barber wrote:

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind for when my dryer duct needs replacing.
Add pictures here
✖