Dumb Lathe Question...

Page 2 of 2
No.

Thank's for the answer. What was the question? Frankly - I have no idea which part of the message you are responding to.

rich wrote:

Metal lathes arean't really very good for woodworking. Speeds are wrong, knives are different, etc.. Unless you have money for a lot of tooling, they're harder to use because of the differences between things made of metal and of wood. IFF a metal lathe worked for wood, it'd also be slower and cut rougher in wood.
There ARE some that would work, but they're generally pretty pricey. OH, and more comples to operate and maintain properly.
Pop`
Thanks for all the input! Gonna have to give this some thought.
I can see where the speed might be a factor, but I think you could grind a tool bit to slice with a little care and design. I agree that inside cuts on a bowl would be tough on a metal lathe, but I'm not fully convinced outside cuts couldn't be done.
As to the artistry of it all, i presently enjoy a dove tail jig for the router, but also enjoy doing them with a saw and chisel. Both have their uses. I can see the art and skill with a wood lathe and a bowl, but also the repeatability and precision of a metal lathe.
Oh, well.... Guess I'll make some more saw dust.
Thanks to all,
Rich.....
Pop` wrote:

I've machined steel, aluminum, plastic, phenolic, fiberglass, and wood on a metal lathe. All with good results.

No.

If you're going to reply with a one word answer, at least provide some context, please! Are you saying that the whole post was bad, or just a paragraph was disagreeable?
Unresolved Ambiguity