Drywall on the Table Saw (2023 Update)

Those small Stanley Surform (or generic, cabbage shredder type) planes are good for beveling drywall edges, as long as you don't have to do it to 100 sheets.

Reply to
BUB 209

Sounds reasonable to me. Just lower the TS blade all the way, remove the fence, guard & splitter, lay the drywall down on the tablesaw, and cut it with a utility knife like everyone else does.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

It's hard to imagine how nitrocellulose or the solvent its in would degrade. I have a couple of gallons that are at least 10 years old and they are still fine.

RB

Jeffrey Thunder wrote:

Reply to
RB

|> So thanks everyone, for allowing me to avoid the School of Hard Knocks. | |Another reason, the drywall dust will stick to the "pork chop" sawdust on |the trunnion/motor that got there when you sliced up that whole pork loin |last week. Should have used the mitersaw for that.

Come on, everybody knows you use the bandsaw for that.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

I thought everybody knew you use a radial arm saw for pork?

Nova

My Dad always cut frozen sausage on the band saw.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Most any basic cut can be made with the sheetrock leaning against the wall, although some intricate or precise cuts might benefit from setting the rock up on a stand. That type of fine tuning is usually done on the wall, though. Same with cutouts for boxes. On another note, some amateurs try to save L-shaped pieces of rock, which is almost always a waste, the savings in time by making full-width cuts offsets the slight increase in material used.

Reply to
ATP

Maybe not the stupidest...but pretty darn close! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

Aren't bearings sealed?

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

CUTTING it wouldn't be the bad idea, IMHO. You could use a good planeing blade...and I don't think the dust would be unbearable...although I'd definitely wear a dust mask (most folks should anyway...but don't).

But the HANDLING would be the bad idea. Yer always starting with

4x8...which crack easily if you don't have the proper support. But the time you set up all the equipment, you can just as easily knife it on the floor...or cut it with a sabre saw on some horses.

I think you'd have more chance of damaging the cuts with a table saw...than cutting it or sabreing it.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

Spiral saw is best.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

Everybody says this...but I don't think there's any more risk than with saw dust.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

trying to cut it on a table saw? Try using your circular saw on it and report to the group how that goes!!!

Reply to
myxpykalix

This is a good way to destroy a table saw. Why not use a utility knife and a straight edge?

RB

RickS wrote:

Reply to
RB

trying to cut it on a table saw?

It is a bad idea. Once, quite some years ago, I cut some blueboard on the tablesaw for a friend. She had this idea that it would make a good board for pins, etc. It worked ok, as she got it set up, but, luckily, it was an old, crappy carbide blade I put on the saw, because it DID chip several teeth. Cut really nice, though. If I were to do it again, I would do it the smart (usual) way -Score with a knife, break, and smooth with a surform plane. Even the concrete-based blueboard produced a lot of nasty, abrasive, irritating dust. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Why are people even discussing this? You are not a serious woodworker if you'd abuse your tools this way. Also, you aren't a plasterer. The plasterer is the one who covers over a multitude of errors. You simply don't have to cut drywall to fit. Smooth with a plane ????? You score, break, then cut the paper with the same blade. Period.

I imagine the next question will be should I stop the saw before I change the blade.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

I've used a jig saw a number of times for outlets or for tricky cuts, and almost always been happy. At my wife's behest (to shut her up) I used a Dremel last time I drywalled (the only tool she brought to the marriage, so naturally the tool she thinks is best for every freaking job) and it did seem to be the best tool for the job. That is, if the job that you're doing involves carefully placing the Dremel spiral cutting blade in the hole then randomly cutting nonlinear slices in wholly arbitrary spots on the drywall.

Reply to
Victor De Long

Right anytime your cutting drywall or messing with anything dusty you should be wearing a nice Filter mask to keep the dust out of your lungs an nose. But I would suggest cutting it with a table saw bagging it all up in a ziplock bag an then splash a little on your nose an get in your car a speed up an down the Main Street in your town with your head out the window ufo ufo. Then when you get pulled over offer the officer a nice line hahaha jk jk. Ya don’t use a table saw like the one person said you will screw your saw up. Hopefully I made it to the party in time an the comments still ongoing pun ended

Reply to
Darthnips

It's no better an idea now than it was in 2004...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Ha ha.

Reply to