Drywall lift

###################
Does anyone have plans for a homemade drywall lift ? I saw one in an old issue of Fine Homebuilding awhile back made from 2 X 4s , on a rolling base frame.
Smitty ####################

Not really answering your question, but with these things available for as little as $140 delivered it's not worth the time to make one... unless you're talking about a couple of t-square supports. ;~)

Can you tell me where I would find this ?
On 2010-04-25 17:29:51 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

Or you can rent one for about $30/day. And it's still a lot easier if you have a helper. They're great for ceilings, but expect to use a 2X4 as a ledge when installing on walls, shimming as necessary.
These lessons are still fresh -- I just insulated and drywalled the garage so I can have a proper workshop.
said:

$30/day is great if you move fast enough... I never seem to get it done that fast working alone. ;~) Did a 16x22 foot room with trayed ceiling in January with 12' sheets... Did the upper part of the walls too but didn't need a 2x4 ledge with the lift I used... the spring loaded hooks held it fine.
John

My son and I dry walled an addition on his house. We rented a lift from Home Depot for one day. WW

I made one 30 years ago in an afternoon using old water pipe. I cut a slot in the sides of a larger pipe. Then I put a pulley at the bottom of another pipe and dropped it inside. I mounted a boat winch on the side, added tripod legs and casters and a rack on top to hold the sheets. Fast and zero cost using scraps I had already. It has put up a lot of sheetrock over the years. Sits around outside until I need it. I got a 14 foot ceiling coming up. Too tall for the one I have. Also too tall for the lifts they are selling. I plan on building a new one using store bought material this time. I think I'll make it to handle 16 foot long panels as well. I also plan on using an electric winch so I don't have to crank a boat winch. Pretty straight forward. Nothing on paper. I figure the mast will have 3 sliding sections to achieve the height I need.
Pat wrote: (snip)

"They" who? Telpro is expensive, but 14' is no problem. http://web.mac.com/mphcj5/Panellift/Standard.html

Oh. Carry on then.
Here's a neat idea for installing sheetrock alone. Does anyone know this guy ?

http://www.youtube.com/user/frankd20