Drs do good work!

Doc said it's been a couple of years since a chest X-ray so it was done. It was suspect so follow-up CAT was done. That was followed be PET scan, a VERY difficult procedure to experience, and data were sent to a Pulmonologist for evaluation. Saw him on a Tuesday and he hoped to get surgery done by that Friday. Week and a half later I was admitted for removal of the upper lobe of the left lung that included a suspect node. It was stage 1 cancer and surgeon expects chemotherapy will not be needed but if it is it will probably be the benign type that doesn't cause the flurry of reactions. If surgery wasn't done he expected an 18-24 month lifespan. I was released from the hospital 10 minutes short of 72 hours after admitting and have 2 weeks of no driving and 6 weeks of lifting no more than 15#. Thought at first the 2 weeks was overkill but with reduced lung capacity I'm winded just walking down the hall, much less driving then walking around the store then driving home, the 2 weeks might be too hopeful for me. Do yourself and family a favor and request standard check-ups if they're no scheduled!

Reply to
nospambob

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Blessings and congratulations on yer, bob. Rest and feed your sense of humor. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Glad the Doc caught it early. Good luck to you. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to The Survivor's Camp -- and Congrats on DOING something about it right then and there! (Far too many folks "do the ostrich thing".)

You're very fortunate in getting that critter while it was still Stage One~!!~ Now just make darned sure you keep on track with each and every follow-up -- and do NOT BE SHY about demanding additional CTs and PETs.

A year ago Memorial Day I developed a fast-growing "welt" on my right neck. That "welt" turned out to be a Stage Four SCC by the time it was removed in mid July of '03. It took a Radical Neck Disection and 34 radiation treatments to get it, but we did get it :-) The surgery and "therapy" took a Big Toll, and the recovery from the "cure" sure as heck isn't "over night". I do know where you're at and where you're headed.

Even though a PET isn't a very exiting experience it's no different an experience than a CT with contrast. (They're both boring.)

Follow up with a Fervor, Bug the Living Snot out of the Docs when necessary to get answers and action and Demand to have CTs and PETs done up regularly. Do It.

At my one-year point we wouldn't have caught what right now appear as "suspicious" nodes here and there were it not for my insisting on pictures as well as pokes and prods. IF there are any recurrences, I intend to get at 'em pronto. Having had one blossom to Stage Four so fast was too close of a call. I don't care for any repeats.

So remember -- your follow-up is really in your own hands; the Docs just go along for the ride. Ride them hard so you can live long :-)

Steve Mesa, AZ

Steve