Dovetail orientation

I have a small shop with limited make-up space. So I build small projects like keepsake boxes, miniature chest's of drawer, and the like.
I sometimes use dovetails in the cases. I'm wondering if there is a "classical" or other convention for the dovetail orientation, i.e.: pins facing up/side; tails facing up/side.
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks a heap, -Zz

The tail acts as a wedge and won't allow the adjoining piece to slide out. That's why the boards with the tails are on the sides of the drawers - the tails keep the joint from being pulled apart when the drawer is opened. If it's a box or something where the load/stress is pretty uniform, it's a matter of taste. I usually prefer to see more tail and less pin, but I reserve the right to arbitrarily change my mind. ;)

For strength and uniformity DT joints are best begun and ended with half tails and they are generally on the piece that will be pulled.

Hmmm.... half pins? Gotta assume a half thought there! Half tails leaves a half tail floating in the air... not to say it hasn't been done though. I've seen real Shaker pieces with half tails... probably by a new guy. ;~)
John