do you recommend planing varnished wood

I was planning on changing out my cutter blades anyway. Would this damage my planer if I set the cutting height 1/32 or so to remove a build up of varnish on some old reclaimed oak 1x4 boards. tks Dan

Reply to
Dan Parrell

I did exactly this and the planer was fine. Keep the planing light and make sure you properly dispose of the shavings, as they make the shavings highly combustible...

Reply to
C Carruth

Go for it. Keep the blades afterwards and use them for first passes on recycled timber.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:12:07 -0330, "Dan Parrell" wrotg:

That's the reason I originally bought my planner. Got sick of sanding old paint off some lumber. It worked great, the blades were still OK. If you don't have a dust collector of some sort, you may want to consider one now. And watch out for nails! DAMHIKT

John, in Minnesota

Reply to
John

Reply to