Disturbing Trend

Page 3 of 3

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Wow...
Have you ever left the village?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: I noticed that the casting

Of course you realize that attempting to correct the manufacturer's shoddiness voided any and all warranties that came with that piece of crap!
My experience recently was a small Draper bandsaw which was delivered with one of the cast feet cracked in two. There wasn't a scratch to the box so ity must have been packed that way!
And the other day I was looking at new cars. I spent a long time looking at a Grand Cherokee and the beaming salesman bounced up to me and asked if I'd like to be the proud owner. I told him I didn't think I could have a lot of faith in a car that was put together by workers who couldn't even bother to get the rear name badge on straight! It was off-level by a good 5mm.
FoggyTown

Nope, you don't know the story. Sunhill has gone quite a way to make me happy. This fence problem wasn't the first issue with this jointer. They have sent me two jointers and picked one up at their own expense. They have sent me two free extra sets of knives and a free mobile base just for my trouble. They didn't want the first fence back and if this one had a problem I'm pretty sure they would send me another one free of charge. They've been nothing but nice to me so far and everything they've sent me was without me having to bitch too loudly or even ask for. Well, except for the intial purchase of course. This is their brand of jointer but it was probably built right along side the Grizzly and other brands in Taiwan only with slightly different options.

Funny you should mention that...There were these nice and shiny metal, "Stickers" with the, "Sunhill" name slapped on both the base and beds of the jointer. Both of them were stuck on ridiculously crooked. I'm not much of a label guy and I'd just as soon have everything I've ever bought come without a label or name plate so I had no problem peeling off the stickers. Obviously, somebody at the label station at the factory in Taiwan was having a bad day. I'm quite happy with the jointer now as it works beautifully with very little effort but I'll have to carefully consider another purchase from Sunhill.
By the way, anyone want to buy the beefiest mobile base made for an 8" jointer? $50 plus shipping. Unused still in the box. I think Sunhill wants $80 plus shipping. I built my own because I needed the jointer at an exact height to match my work bench.
Bruce

i just last week returned, for exchange, a spiral cutterhead for my grizzly 6" jointer. after the initial need to bore out and elongate the holes in the cast iron to accept the larger and closer spaced bearing block bolts, i turned on the machine only to hear on "odd" sound. i thought that perhaps the combination of a spiral cutterhead and my ear protection may have been the culprit. i shut down the jointer, took off the ear protection, and restarted it few times. definately didn't sound right.
i removed removed the cutterhead and, as soon as i did, the front bearing slipped out of the block. there was a hairline crack in the bearing block.
i shot off an e-mail to grizzly and they promptly gave me an RMA and told me to include a receipt for the return shipping, which they would refund. (how many companies do that?)
on a side note: the orignal bearing blocks on the jointer were pretty substantion cast iron. the new one is made of a composite material, and there's not much of it on the top side. i hope the next one doesn't crack.
anyone else have one of these new spiral (or indexed) cutterheads from grizzly? -- regards, greg (non-hyphenated american) http://users.adelphia.net/~kimnach
Greg Kimnach wrote:

I don't think I've every had to pay shipping for a defective product. Hard drives, table saw top, joystick microswitches/potentiometers, optical mouse--they always payed the shipping.
If a company ships me a defective product, them paying the shipping is the absolute *minimum* that I would expect. Better would be some additional benefits to make up for the hassle of the thing being defective in the first place.
Chris