differences between workmate models?

Anyone know the diffs between a workmate 425 and a model 550? Is it just the single-handed vise crank?
Black and Decker's web page - http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/ProductListByBrand.aspx?RHID 1
does not list the 550 model. Perhaps it is discontinued?

Exactly the same workmate, just different model numbers.
snipped-for-privacy@mn.rr.com (chuck) wrote:

At B&D they told me they often have to re-label some products to satisfy companies like Home Depot and the like. JG
Sprog wrote:

So "the identical item" will not be available elsewhere at a cheaper price....
(chuck) wrote:

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 07:02:15 -0500, "George"

Yep. When my son worked at HD several years ago, I listened in on a PK (product knowledge) session, wherein a manufacturer's rep comes in and talks to department sales associates about one of their products. This particular one was a pressure washer (actually a pretty nice one and an interesting presentation). One of the points he made was that the model number was unique to HD for the specific puropose of dodging price matching.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Thanks all, that's pretty much what I figured, what with HDs penchant for 'in-house' brands and models, etc, etc.
I'm assuming here that the Workmate is still the 'class' of the portable bench industry. Just about everything else I've looked at are el-cheapo units. Even the WMs need to have their particle-board tops replaced with some decent hardwood planks to be really useful.
Any alternatives out there to the WM that I should be looking at??
I'm trying to re-create a home workshop I had about 15 years ago before a job moved me overseas. Tools are (almost) a no-brainer but the niceties like benches and lights and such like are giving me fits at the moment.