dial indicator uses?

Page 2 of 2
Joe Wells wrote:

Yup. I'm depraved *because* I'm deprived. Or maybe it's the other way around.

If you have the mounting hardware you can use it to check your drill press to ensure that the table is perpendicular to the drill shaft (sorry, I'm at a loss for what to call the column the drill bit goes in - no, not the chuck).
I have a TS-Aligner and it included some extra parts that will allow me to do the above as well as check that my bandsaw table is perpendicular to my blade and that (if I had one) the jointer fence is perpendicular to the table. Other uses: Check your jointer tables to see what the exact difference between them is, check that the jointer blades are level with the outfeed table, align your radial arm saw, depth gauge, etc. The gauge can also be used to ensure that things that rotate (like the table saw arbor) are not out of round. -- Jim
jegan wrote:

Philski
Quill
John
On 5 Mar 2004 08:27:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com (jegan) wrote:

With simple setups, check the knives in your jointer and planer for proper height. Check cutterheads (jointer and planer) to see if they are parallel to the table. Set height and parallelism of bed rollers, chipbreaker, and outfeed roller on a planer. Check arbor runout on the tablesaw, chuck runout on the drill press and router bit runout. With a 1/2 rod in the collet of you router in your router table and a dial indicator attached to the rod, you can tell if your router is perpendicular to you table. I am sure there is more.
Preston