Dial indicator in da house!

Folks -
Well, a fellow rec'r said I'd be onto everything in thousandths.... I just went around and checked a few things and here's tonight's "box score" that held some surprises for me:
Gen 350 Table Saw blade & arbor runout .005
OLD delta cast iron benchtop drill press - from the '50's Chuck Runout .003
Harbor Freight cheepo 14" bandsaw w/riser Upper and lower Bandwheel out of round <.003 Table flex under moderate pressure - WAY over .020 (Those trunions are JUNK)
Old Craftsman 6" Jointer - Got it used, did NOTHING to it, and it has been around for a LONG time...
Blade alignment to outfeed table - <.002 on all three blades (Now THAT'S surprising!)
I was surprised that the HF wheels were as round as they were, and that the table flexed as much as it did... I don't use the BS for critical work.. good thing... That the jointer was in as good a shape as it is was also a surprise...
More to come....
John Moorhead
john moorhead wrote:

John:
If I may ask a newbie question about runout. What is tolerable for runout on a TS? .05? .03?
TIA
Rich
RKON said:

I'm not John, but I check runout on ALL my equipment. Lots of tools left over from my days as a 'professional' mechanic...
Something less than .003" at the arbor would be my preference. Anything as large as .05" at the arbor would by amplified by the distance to the blade tips, and be totally unacceptable. For comparison purposes, my cheapish Delta T.S. reads .002" at the arbor. The 14" bandsaw wheels have radial runout of .003" - lateral runout of .005"
FWIW,
Greg G.