dial calipers for woodworking "link"

Page 1 of 2
...just thought I'd share this product link:
http://www.tool-solutions.com/product/102153
As a newbie, anyone think I should have one?
Alex
Add pictures here
βœ–
You can do without. Get digital if any.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah, they do do inches. I have a proper vernier that I don't know how to read but I need to know if I really need a caliper for woodwork...? I am just starting in an adult-ed class, total "newby" here.
Alex
Add pictures here
βœ–
"AArDvarK" wrote in message ...

Hi Alex, this link may help you to figure out how to read the thing:
http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/java/ruler/vernier.html
--
Greg

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:15:50 +1000, "Greg Millen"

Or just buy one that reads in fractions and decimals: <http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?pageF036&category=1%2C43513%2C43546&ccurrency=2&SID…ABCFDD11>
I think a caliper is useful enough to have ordered the unit above to replace a broken, old caliper. However, I wouldn't put it very high on a Newbie tool list.
For simply checking board thickness, etc... I keep a 4" brass sliding caliper in my apron pocket.
<http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?lGen ήtail&itemID4193&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat000&iSubCat040&iProductID4193>
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
AArDvarK wrote:

Anybody that deals with holes and things that go in holes and dadoes and things that fit in dadoes could use one. I bought a General (some swiss made deal) when it was on sale several years ago. Made of some kind of gray plastic with a dial, it remains surprisingly accurate even though dropped several times. One of the handiest tool I have. Every time I'm in my shop (garage to you) I pick it up measure something. Just bought the $16 HF dial caliper which is higher quality, but I'll be careful about not dropping it. You will be surprised at how useful it is.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Bah. I'd rather have a mechanical device that, if it's not working properly, I'll be able to see in it's action. A digital may be perfectly fine, but if it's off by some amount, you won't see any signs, it'll just silently be wrong giving you bad information.
...unless of course you check calibration on it every time you use it, I suppose...
Dave Hinz
Add pictures here
βœ–
It is a good price. Beats Highland Hardware. But if it were me, I would buy a digital caliper from Harbor Freight for $16.

Add pictures here
βœ–

You're a real machinist right? Why wouldn't you buy a Starrett or a Brown and Sharp? Those are too much dinero for poor meo though.
Alex
Add pictures here
βœ–
Me? No, I'm a hobbyist. Many (but not all) Brown and Sharp calipers are made in China just like Harbor Freight. I do not think Starrett's electronic measuring equipment are very good. Moreover, I do not like their digital calipers. In my opinion, Mitutoyo makes the best digital calipers. But they are expensive too. If I drop by Mitutoyo caliper, I'm going to sit down and cry. If I drop by Harbor Freight caliper, I wouldn't care less. The Harbor Freight caliper doesn't have the same refined feel as the Mitotoyo, but it agrees with it (ie. same readings) when measuring. In my opinion, the Harbor Freight caliper is the best caliper suited for woodworking.

would
Add pictures here
βœ–

that's some good news and common sense, thanks. Alex
Add pictures here
βœ–

Well, it's not like you have to keep buying them though, is it? Once you have a good one, that's a lifetime tool if treated well.
Add pictures here
βœ–
AArDvarK wrote:

You don't have to have one, but I've found mine to be damned handy. This one looks pretty good to me.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
βœ–
AArDvarK wrote:

Measuring calipers, be they "direct", vernier, dial or digital are very convenient for many tasks in woodworking.
Not the first think I'd buy, but nice to have.
IIRC in the USA you can get a plastic dial caliper that reads in fractions on an inch, and it's cheap.
That'd probably work just fine for WW.
BugBear
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is what I have and use it for many years, but I thing it's time to upgrade, heihland hardware has the best one with 1/16 inch fraction which Wood magazine call it the best and it is very easy to read it, but I do not want to pay $8 for shipping, well, next week in Chicago Woorworkers show I may find one ang get it. But ues, you do not have to have it, but it is handy some times.
Maxen

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:00:19 +0100, bugbear

Mine did. I've used a General plastic caliper that reads in decimal to .001 for 14 years. Through no fault of the caliper, mine is now past tense. I paid about $30 for it in 1990.
I've replaced it with the Lee Valley fraction / decimal combo caliper, but it hasn't arrived yet. The LV is the same price the General was, and reads both ways. LV's satisfaction policy is second to none, and the caliper was well-reviewed, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
I wouldn't be without! I use it all the time when planing or trying to rip to match a width. Get the kind with the thumbwheel...much easier to handle. Mine's from HF. Very accurate checked against drillrod and some micrometer check blocks. Wilson

Add pictures here
βœ–
AArDvarK wrote:

Just ordered the same one for $29. Thanks a lot. I have a plastic one that is accurate, but does not have a lock to hold it at the same reading for multiple measurements. I also have a metal vernier, which locks and I can use it, but it is a cheapie and rusts. I agree it's nice to have both decimal and fractions on the dial.
--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

Add pictures here
βœ–
As a newbie it's not high on the list of things you need. I got one with my reloading equipment years ago and used it quite a bit. Because of discs gone in my back I had to give up shooting but when I sold the reloading stuff I kept the caliper. I've used it occasionally but not a whole lot with woodworking.
Rick

Add pictures here
βœ–