DeWax

Is there a simple way to "dewax" shellac? Can it be as simple as heating it and allowing the wax to drain off?

Thanks

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

From an exact phrase match. Google can be your friend. But I thought there'd been more discussion about it than the 8 responses I found. So I tried all the words and got

Joe Gorman

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:46:17 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "Dr. Deb" quickly quoth:

Wax is that white, milky substance in the bottom of the shellac jug. Pour off the top portion (with no milky goo) and you have a fairly well dewaxed shellac. Use the bottom part to coat the inside of drawers or something.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I store my shellac in glass jars (with tight lids!) out in the "2nd" refrigerator in the garashop. A 1# cut settles out in a week or so, clear on top, scum at the bottom. Simple (careful) decanting of the clear stuff results in unwaxed shellac. The bottom gunk, as another poster noted, does fine on drawer insides.

Regards.

Reply to
Tom Banes