Dewalt planer problem

When surfacing some 2x6 redwood planks, the Dewalt planer makes a clunking nose with the cutting head hesitated and jumped up a little in a cyclical fashion about every couple of seconds. This results in lines across the grain about every 4 inches apart that corresponded to the clunking sound.

I've checked the cutting head and it runs smooth without load. I also removed the blades and tested the rollers under load and it runs smooth as well. The external roller chain drive seems to be ok too. The blade lock for changing blades is not jammed with the cutting head rotated freely by hand. Motor brushes are in good condition. Replaced old blades with new, same problem.

I'm running out of things to check other taking the cutting head apart. Broken gear in the cutting head? Anyone has a similar problem? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
** Frank **

Call DeWalt tech service, found them to be quite helpul with my planer when I had a problem.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It sounds like the the lumber you are planning is not flat. The relationship between the radius of the cutting head and the radious of the boards bow can cause what you described on a nice regular pattern.

Joe

Reply to
Nobull4u

Just took this sucker apart this afternoon. Turn out to be a deformed roller bushing.

Reply to
** Frank **