dewalt dw 735 planer discovery

bought the new dewalt planer this week and was impressed last night on how well it sized some 5/4 maple and walnut with virtually no snipe. So today I was going to plane some walnut strips down to 1/4"x1"x14" finished product. I'm feeding the strips though and they keep coming out with a severe snipe about 2" from trailing end. So I started playing with it at the expense of $4/bf material and found that when I fed 3 strips through at a time sniped was drastically reduced but still present. When I fed 3 strips through and fed the next three before the first exited no more snipe. HOWEVER, at 14" you gotta run back and forth and look rather silly not to mention probably not the safest thing to do on an expoxied garage floor with sawdust.
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:09:36 GMT, "mel"

I've used this trick for many years. It works great. I also learned the trick about very slightly raising the last board as it comes out of the planer. Position your planer so that the boards are waist to chest high to make feeding and unloading easier. Planers need a DC, for super clean surfaces and safety. I think my planer is the noisest machine in the shop, ever since the router was placed in the router table.
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:09:36 GMT, "mel"

I always though that this was a good practice on any planer.
Barry
it may be but I'm a newbie to planers and was just proud I figured it out myself
Impressive. Not the planer, but the epoxy on the garage floor. If it is slippery when wet I found that as it is drying, throw up some silica sand in the air so it just settles on top. It dries stuck in and is easy to distribute for an even overall effect. If you mix the sand in, then it gets encapsulated and won't be exposed, preventing hydroplanning. I guess it could work for normal painted floors too. It will be awhile before you need to recoat your floor.
About the planer. This is what I was most curious about. Does it really give smother results than others? Sorry about the snipe. That should not happen. Perhaps the 736 when it comes out......
John
mel wrote:

I can't speak for other planers except an industrial size sucker that was in the door shop my father ran when I was younger but this little machine has impressed me. I can see very little difference between the finish of the two speeds. I was getting an occasional chatter on the face grain of hard maple at the fast speed so I slowed it down...figured out grain orientation was the cause , flipped it and sped it up again.. no chatter. I like it.
About the sand. Do not use river wash sand, it is rounded. Use sandblasting sand because it has sharp edges. Wish I had it on my garage floor.
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:00:37 -0400, Eddie Munster

this is all great advice.... if the floor was still wet..(grumbling)
mel wrote:

What? No non-slip mats where you stand or walk?
Shawn
Somebody call OSHA QUICK! We have a safety problem that MIGHT be a problem although it might not NOT be a problem but OSHO is like our father-they care deeply and only want the best for us so they will send someone out right away at thousands of taxpayers money to find out it is not a business but an individual but that is irrelevant.

Sh*t! now they are calling OSHA...gonna have to put guards on my hammers now
Man that's a bummer. For real though, in the 70's, they issued a proclamation to dairy farmers advising them to always carry a shovel and scoop and scoop up that slippery stuff that just appeared in the barnyard. Need I say more? Wanna know my opinion of OSHA? I was a dairy farmer.
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:13:17 GMT, "mel"

You should be able to get sharp sand at a gardening centre. If you want to spend more, sharp sand for floor finishes is sold at your local Borg next to the floor paint. It only takes a couple of $ worth of Borg stuff to do a room.
Mike
silica sand........
Michael Daly wrote:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:14:18 -0500, Eddie Munster

Be extremely careful about throwing silica sand around. This stuff can destroy your lungs in no time, and they will not recover. Dust masks are useless, you must wear a respirator and filters designed for silica dust. The benefits of silica sand is that it is very fine, but it is also very dangerous to breathe.
Jeff ____________________________________________ You won't notice the splinters in the ladder of success, unless you are sliding down.