Dewalt 735

I have finally got a chance to try out my 735 in finishing mode. When I change it over I think I should hear a difference in speed. Of course the motor is still running at the same RPM, but shouldn't I hear a difference in rotor speed? This is my first planer and I saved up for sometime to buy the Delta, but then saw the dewalt and waited some more to buy it. In the dimensioning mode it works great. But was just testing it with pine and soft wood. I just received some free brazilian cherry (about 20 bf, small gloat) and really wanted to show off the features. But I don't notice a difference.
Roger

in
the
soft
gloat)
difference.
I think the difference is in feet per minute feed rate IIRC EJ

the
difference
On my Delta, the sound does not change, only the feed rate. Does the board go through slower?
The Brazilian cherry will give the blades a good workout. Tough stuff. Ed
The feed rate does change. The cherry does give it a go. Now to find a project. I just tried a 10" wide piece of oak. I got some from a friend in Pa. she has a barn and buys her wood from a Amish farmer. She uses the oak in her barn. It looks great. Now to find a project worthy of the wood.
Roger

buy
and
board
I have had mine for some time now. I have never heard a difference in speed. What you want to look for is the speed at which the work piece travels thru the planer. It moves slower on finishing (setting 1) than on dimensioning (2). Otherwise, the knives run at the same speed.
-- Al Reid
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

ok, it does do that. And I did notice that hard wood is diiferent compared to soft. I'm going to try some oak now. I've had some oak (100 bf, free of course) drying for some time now. And it's ready to work. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.
Roger

the
difference in

the
soft
gloat)
difference.

in
the
soft
gloat)
difference.
The feed rate should be noticeably slower though.
--
Jon Down