Delta vs Steel City Table Saw

Page 4 of 4
J. Clarke wrote:

True dat. It was the Chinese that produced junks. The Japanese were better known for their tub boats, or taraibune, which are made from cedar and bamboo. <http://www.douglasbrooksboatbuilding.com/taraibune.html

Sage advice, as usual.

Happy to do so. Thanks for the comment.
Frank
Unless things have improved in the last year or so, Delta's support leaves a lot to be desired. Examples include the fine folks who don't realize they now also sell more than just yellow tools; "its normal to have that much run out"; and "we don't really care if you buy our products or not".
Given SC "background", I'd lean toward giving them a try.
Renata

$900 dollars for a table saw? Geeze, that's a lot.
When I finally sold my Ohio Forge (purchased "damaged" at Home Depot some twenty-five or thirty year ago (Cracked cast table extension), I looked around at HD, Sears nd Lowes and found they all were very similar and all were "lighter" than the old Ohio Forge. I wound up buying a Sear Close Out / customer return for about $275 as I recall. I added one of those Link Belts after a few years and use it regularly on wood and light metals and plastics/composites
They tell me my grandfather used to say "its a poor workman what blames his tools."
Then Deming: I couldn't believe the first post. How can one get it so turned around! Deming Tried to teach America but they wouldn't listen until after his succes in Japan. Now, TQM is used throughout America - lbeit absent the inspiration
False. Demming taught the Japanese how to do it. He brought statistical process control, the basis for all aspects of lean manufacturing, to the Japanese when the US auto manufacturers were not interested. Prior to his indoctrination the Japanese were known for cheap junk.
Hoosierpopi wrote:

Well it seems we have different goals for what we are looking for...
I don't think I was asking for judgement of the cost of my purchase... did it seem that way?
There are much more expensive table saws out there too - so just because you can get some POS on closeout, it doesn't mean I have to.
Note: I am not saying Craftsman are POS - just the fact that it was a customer return / being closed out.

No... it certainly didn't. And there are many more expensive saws out there. I bought my Delta Unisaw about 9 years ago and paid almost $2,800.00. If either of the 2 saws you're considering were available back then, I'd not have purchased the Unisaw. It was the popularity of the Delta Unisaw, General and Powermatic industrial saws amongst serious woodworking hobbiests like you and me (and many other people in this forum) that drove the development of these "little brothers" to the industrial machines. And they perform wonderfully.
I don't think you're too much worried about drivel like that in poopi's post (he seems prone to spewing crap). There will always be bottom feeders slithering in the mud who try to lure others down to their level. Bit of a shallow gene pool there...wot!
Come back after you've made your purchase and let us know what you decided.
Cheers

<<<lots of snippage about Deming>>>
$900 is a lot? Let's see...you bought your saw 25ish years ago...for $275 which is about $620usd in 2007 dollars. In the grand scheme of things, not a whole lot of difference.
Oh...and $900 today was only $400 in 1982.
Again, not a lot of difference.
Mike