Decline in craftsmanship

Page 5 of 5
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 02:13:27 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The Vietnam was could be avoided if you were in school to be come a teacher. Some of those teachers became administrators. The results of that are showing too.
On 7/22/2012 8:19 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Let's back up a minute. A lot of the problem is not the teachers. A lot is parents that think the teachers are baby sitters and surrogate parents.
Many don't teach their kids manners. Many don't demand grades from their kids. There was a woman on TV who was doing her kids homework so that the kid could socialize more...
The other part of the problem with schools is the curiculum has been forced to be fair for everyone. Teach everything that doesn't pertain to the 3 Rs... The priorities should be what they were long ago.. Reading, Writting and Arithmetic.. And Sciences, computers, and social studies.. period.
You can blame that on the stupid legislators... Most of whom probably did poorly in school. Add many stupid requirements in and you have a curriculum that can't focus enough of what it should..
Then add stupid admins who are looking for big pay days and ... well theses people are clueless for the most part.
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:10:08 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

So there is no reason to pay teachers any more than babysitters, right?
<...>
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:28:25 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Some barely deserve that. Most teachers get a decent wage today. I was looking at the pays of teachers in Worcester MA just last week. They ranged from mid 50s to mid 80s in real salary even though starting scales are less. http://www.worcesterk12.com/human_resources/2007_salary_schedule.htm
Like many professions, some are terrific, others much less so. Hard to get rid of the bad ones though.

Not bad for nine month's work and that doesn't include bennies.

_Unlike_other_professions_, it's hard to get rid of the bad ones. *Unlike* other professions, their retirement and health benefits are out-of-sight.

That varies immensely from institution to institution. Many offer very modest benefits. Unfortunately, the trend (for years now) is to hire adjunct professors instead of tenured faculty and provide them with very low pay and low benefits. Having no other responsibilities, they do a LOT of teaching. Unfortunately, that is a very popular business model. At least, it's not hard to "get rid of the bad ones".

Nonsense. Why do you think cities are going bankrupt left and right (expect a slew more next year as it becomes the "norm").

I worked as an adjunct thirty years ago. The professors aren't teaching anyway and adjuncts probably do a better job (they generally work in the industry).

I was referring to K-12. No "adjuncts" allowed. Unions have made sure of that.

You made 3 claims. I'm willing to concede the last one. Do you have data to support your first two: (1) that all colleges give great benefits, and (2) adjuncts are probably better teachers? Or are those just your opinions?

For an academic your reading skills sure suck.
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:10:08 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

While I did start with teachers, they are only part of the problem. The spawn of the hippie generation are the parents you speak of.

Yes, it is the generation that let it go to crap. Our parents would not let that happen.
On 7/22/2012 12:37 AM, Bill wrote:

In order to be at peace with the current cultural state of affairs, you have to finally accept that the simpleton majority deserve exactly what they bring upon themselves.
Who are they, you say?
Simply chose to spend a few minutes driving any urban freeway in the country ... you cant' miss them ... just consider yourself lucky if the miss you.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/21/2012 9:14 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/22/business/what-happened-to-the-craftsmanship-spirit-essay.html?_r=1&hp
Every time I see "This Old House" on PBS, with the idiotic "elbow grease" commercial at the beginning, that point is driven home ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

+1
--
Best regards
Han

I was trying to remember what the 'elbow grease' reference was about and then remember that idiotic part where the truck is backing up with the barrows of elbow grease in it.
For the life of me, I just can't see how anybody could sign off on a commercial like that.
"Dave" wrote:

-------------------------------- You and others are commenting on it.
Nuf said.
Lew .