Decline in craftsmanship

the business practices at HD to the general decline in craftsmanship in our country:

The information is fairly easily had, though. Employers go to the college for transcripts. A followup wouldn't be impossible. Even statistical information would be useful.

I can't parse this sentence.

Of course not. They're counted as continuing education, which in itself causes a problem with the disclosure.

Reply to
krw

Or colleges get leaner and start teaching again.

Reply to
krw

T'aint the high school kids at all those keggers.

Reply to
krw

I do, primarily because it's such a personal subject. Let the market decide what's "art", not politicians with my money.

There is a difference between art and capital improvements.

Which is why it shouldn't happen.

Government shouldn't be "investing" in *ANY* of that. It can't make rational decisions. I don't care what *you* invest in. It's your money.

Government making investments that pay off? You mean like Solyndra?

Sure but professors are supposed to teach, no?

Out of context, my ass. It was clearly conspiracy to fraud. ...at *least*.

"Repeated bad luck"? LOL! There is no such thing. "Bad luck" is having your dog eat your homework. Repeated?

*ALL* cases. It's inherent in any discrimination.
Reply to
krw

Nonsense. Why do you think cities are going bankrupt left and right (expect a slew more next year as it becomes the "norm").

I worked as an adjunct thirty years ago. The professors aren't teaching anyway and adjuncts probably do a better job (they generally work in the industry).

I was referring to K-12. No "adjuncts" allowed. Unions have made sure of that.

Reply to
krw

Virtually all of my students are finding decent jobs. I'm not sure what you mean by "colleges getting leaner". What is it you would like to see less of? I think your views are biased by your experience where and when you went to school, a time and place which has surely changed.

Maybe you should distinguish between colleges and universities?

Reply to
Bill

You made 3 claims. I'm willing to concede the last one. Do you have data to support your first two: (1) that all colleges give great benefits, and (2) adjuncts are probably better teachers? Or are those just your opinions?

Reply to
Bill

Take your choice, but just don't complain about student loan debt ten years after you graduate with a useless degree.

Education is a wonderful thing. The more the better. You do, however, have to be responsible in your choices. Going to college is good for many, but it is not always the best path. Some go because they would rather bee a student than worker, others because parents think they must go to keep up their status, etc.

That Master's Degree in 8th century Lithuanian art won't allow you to earn enough to pay the appliance repair guy making triple your wage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 17:44:54 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

And then, once in awhile, an extremely rare once instance, you say something that makes absolute sense.

Of course, inevitably, you revert back to your hammer approach. You're right in what you say, but the problem with it is that just giving up on people who have failed creates another disadvantaged group. The type of group I might add, that affirmative actions tried to eliminate in the first place.

Your solution while it might fix a problem in one area, creates another difficult to solve problem in another area.

Reply to
Dave

Exactly! A BIG +1!

Reply to
Dave

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:37:29 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

More hammer. Appropriate in some areas, not appropriate in your hammer everything approach.

He follows along just fine. He's just disappointed in your same singular sweeping approach to every situation.

Reply to
Dave

I was trying to remember what the 'elbow grease' reference was about and then remember that idiotic part where the truck is backing up with the barrows of elbow grease in it.

For the life of me, I just can't see how anybody could sign off on a commercial like that.

Reply to
Dave

-------------------------------- You and others are commenting on it.

Nuf said.

Lew .

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yes, actually it is. There's a direct correlation between the education level of society in general and the quality of that society.

What some are advocating here is the return to the Roman coliseum and the spectacle it provided. The all encompassing scythe like attitude of "Letting them sink or swim" is something that hopefully would change as society continues. It's just too broad an approach.

Reply to
Dave

Same ol, same ol. If it doesn't work, hit it with a hammer and then throw it away after that.

You my friend, are about as shortsighted as it gets. Hell, why should I be surprised? Guess I should expect it from you at this point.

Reply to
Dave

GA has a similar scholarship. It seems to work, though there isn't enough money to fund it 100% so it's means tested (translation: the middle class gets screwed).

The do raise money, just not enough to fulfill the promises of the politicians.

Politicians never worry about unintended consequences.

$1T is borrowed. True, that's tomorrow's problem not today's sacrifice.

Reply to
krw

I'd like to see your stats. What college? What degree?

If they have less to spend, they either get smaller of leaner. It's not a difficult concept.

Fancy buildings. Administration. That's for starters.

Nonsense.

Generally yes, though even junior colleges are administration-heavy, now. Public schools in general are administration-heavy.

OK, let's talk specifics. Where do you teach?

Reply to
krw

You really are a condescending ass. ...and obvious academic.

Reply to
krw

Get rid of the NCAA, the totally subverted, abused, misused, newspeak concept of "student athlete" ... for starters.

Reply to
Swingman

For an academic your reading skills sure suck.

Reply to
krw