Dealing with saw dust while hand sanding

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:11:59 -0500, "Dick Snyder"

For something that large, you can work in front of a window with a fan in it. It will help pull the dust away from you to the outside. Or you can work outside. Okay, maybe not too practical in winter...
I made a downdraft table on wheels that pulls air thru three furnace filters. I used a furnace squirrel cage 1/4 HP blower, has two speeds. It will clear the shop of a lot of airborne dust. All woodworkers know there is no substitute for a good dust mask.
Also, you can use a wide floor sweep attachment to the DC hose. That would involve moving/re-clamping the floor sweep from time to time.
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:57:27 -0500, the infamous Phisherman

And that there's not really any such thing as a good dust mask. They all leak. Use a N100 half-mask respirator. ($20 at HF from AO Safety) or a SCBA full-face supplied-air system. ($$$)

Yeah, they work pretty well.
-- It's a great life...once you weaken. --author James Hogan

Mount a "floow sweep" port to the end of your work bench with your dust collector attached. On the opposite end of the bench mount a fan blowing towards the floor sweep port.

particles all over my basement. I don't have a closed in workshop but just a portion of my basement dedicated to woodworking just like most people in this group probably have.
Someone had the idea of taping the hose from my shop vac to my wrist. Sounds kind of kinky but worth a try I guess. It would be easier to use that a 4" hose to my dust collector!

Doing this for 30 years I have finally got the solution but you want to hand sand so you have to settle for second best. I used to use a PC SpeedBloc finish sander and it would quickly raise a cloud of dust fast. Typically I would situate myself between a fan and the open garage door. If you are not immediately containing the dust you are going to get a build up of dust eventually.
On 2/18/2010 10:18 AM, Leon wrote:

Doingthisfor30yearsIhavefinallygotthesolutionbutyouwanttohandsandsoyouhavetosettleforsecondbest. German word for "Festool"? :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I'm not quite following your point. The solution after 30 years is a floor sweep at the end of the bench and a fan blowing towards the floor sweep. Am I understanding your point? Wouldn't the fan blow the finer dust all over the place?
Dick

I tried to post a followup question to your post (above) but I don't see it so I will try again. Do I understand you correctly that you use a floor sweep on one end of your workbench and a fan on the other end? Wouldn't the dust just blow all over the place?
Dick

French Maid with feather duster, reaching over sawhorse and blowing.... ??

The heavier dust from a scraper doesn't get airborne, and is way easier to deal with. Only subsequent sanding needed is a light going over with 320 to remove ridges if the scraper was nicked. Dipping the paper in naptha makes it cut 10x faster and last forever.