Dado/Miter guage newbie question

Reading the instructions on my new dado blade, it says not to use it with a miter guage. I was trying a test cut on a 2x4 and the miter guage would normally be what I would use. I ended up running the end against my fence but it wasn't as stable as I would like.

Just so I don't do anything stupid. Why can't I use them at the same time? I assume a crosscut sled is the way to go? (that's my next project)

Richard

Reply to
Richard A.

Sounds like a case of overprotecting their rear ends. I use a miter gauge to make dado cuts all the time... but of course, don't use miter gauge and fence in combination with each other... Maybe that is what they really mean? As long as you keep your stock tight to the miter gauge so it can't move during the cut, you will come up trumps more times than not :) I found adding a sacrificial extension board to the miter gauge gave added support. Sometimes adding a small strip of sandpaper also helps prevent movement of wood against the miter gauge face.

Running the end of a 2x4 against a fence is far more dangerous!

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Ryobi EMS1830SCL 12" SCMS

- Bessey K-Body Clamps

- Lumber Wizard Metal Detector

- Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book

- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp

- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter

Woodcrafter

Hi Richard,

When using a dado, use a "gauge block" which is clamped to the fence in front of the blade. This allows you to use the miter gauge with the stock set against the gauge block and clamped or held tight against your miter gauge. Once you engage the blade, the stock should no longer contact the gauge block.

I still have all 10 digits after 15+ years of woodworking.

Tomorrow may be different - always be afraid.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Thanks for your responses guys. I haven't heard of the "gauge block". I'll have to look into that some.

Thanks again, Richard

Reply to
Richard A.

It's just a little stop block to help you set your distance. I personally don't use one as I use the sacrificial board on the back of my miter guage to line up the edge. Then I keep both a death grip on my work and my fingers away from the blade.

I don't see a thing wrong with using a miter gauge together with a dado blade for crosscut dados. I don't even see anything wrong with using a fence with the dado blade if I'm plowing along the long axis. I just don't use both the fence and the miter gauge together.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Thanks for the input. Now I get it. With all the warnings I've been given on using the miter guage and fence together, I'll be sure to never forget that tip and have to learn the hard way.

Rich

Reply to
Richard A.