Cyclone double Chip collector question

I currently have an Oneida Cyclone. Currently the chips drop from the cyclone into one of those cardboard barrels. Dumping is easy enough - but I have acquired 2 plastic 55 gallon drums and was wondering if there would be any harm in coming off the cyclone - into a Y connector - then having 2 hoses off of that 1 to each barrel.
Will this do anything to my cfm? Has anyone done this? Figured id ask quick before I start hacking up some hose.
Thanks Rob
You can reply to me at r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
remove _ to get the correct address
I'm no expert here, but I think a cyclone uses of gravity to drop the chips into the barrel. The barrel is a pressure dead head. If you connect remote drums off to the side in place of the barrel, there won't be any air flow to move the chips over there. That's why cyclones are such a design headache for the home shop - they need height for the cyclone and the barrel underneath to work.
Bob

Amen. The uppermost part of my cyclone is 11 feet off the floor and the largerst container i can get under it is one of those 32" high fibre drums.
It holds lots of sawdust but jointing/planing fills it right up. I still wouldnt trade it tho. Its much easier to empty than the bags and does a much better job of sucking stuff in.
I don't know what the OP's spacial limits are, but a wye off the bottom of the cone is going to take up about 18", and may still not leave enough space for a 55gal drum
wrote: <snip> That's why cyclones are such a design headache

you will loose a lot of airflow. those chip collectors are really a big airflow loss. you can make a lid so you can use bigger cans. I just made a lid out of plywood and used a metal house connector on it. sealed it up well. then I put a sheet of soft neoprene on the underside and it just sits on top of my can. so you just slide the can out.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Steve,
It sounds like you are talking about the typical separator installed before the dust collector. The OP was talking about using the drums AFTER the cyclone - a different application altogether.
Bob
Rob,
If I'm not mistaken Oneida makes a Y connector for their units that does just what you are proposing. I wouldn't expect any CFM loss as long as your connections to the drums are sealed properly.
Good luck and let us know how it works!
Eric

Yes, if you've got one of their 5 hp units and have 12 foot ceilings.
Bob
Got the 3hp - but I do have 12' ceilings. Ill give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks

Rob,
Have a look at this page on the Oneida web site.
http://www.oneida-air.com/systems/3comm/3accessories.htm
I would just make it. it is way too spendy on the site.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

down. since the dust spins all the way to the can.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Hi Rob, To facilitate emptying, I put an industrial sized garbage bag into the drum. It makes the dust easy to empty and provides a place to store the dust until I make a run with several bags to the neighbours barn for disposal. Oh yeah, I agree that it should not make any difference if the wye and drums are properly sealed. Cheers, JG