Cutting perfect 5 1/2" circles

Page 1 of 3
I need to cut four 5 1/2" wheels out of 3/4" oak for a toy I am making for my grandson. The size is too small for a router and trammel. I have a book called Woodworking with the Router by Hylton and Matlock that suggests a couple of ways to do this.
1. Drive a pivot hole in the factory baseplate and use the baseplate as the trammel.
2. Do it on a router table. Affix a piece of scrap wood to the router table with a hole in it for the bit to come through. Install a pivot on three scrap wood and drill a hole in the piece of wood that will be come a wheel. Place the blank over the pivot and turn it against the router bit with some kind of pusher to keep your fingers clear.
I kind of hate to drill a hole in my router baseplate but I have not tried either method. Before I launch off into something I thought I would check with this group to see what you would recommend.
TIA.
Dick Snyder

Remove the baseplate and make your own out of 1/4" plywood. Use the baseplate as a template for the hole locations.
-Kevin

Thanks Kevin. That can work. I have some 1/8" and 1/4" tempered hardboard (Masonite) that is nice and slippery. I will try that.
Dick
"Dick Snyder" wrote

If you have a bandsaw, a fly cutter will do the trick:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

No bandsaw yet unfortunately...... :-(
rough out te wheel on the bandsaw. push a small nail through thin plywood or whatever, with the nail pointing UP, poke the center of the wheel with it and lay this down on the disc sander with the wheel on top. clamp the plywood to the sander table and spin the wheel, tapping the fixture ever slightly closer to the sander disc until desired dia is reached. use OD calipers to check progress.

I just followed your link. The device you referred to is a hole cutter that goes into a drill press. I do have a drill press but I have not had great luck with a hole cutter in thick hard wood like the 3/4" oak I am using for this toy.

I think it was a brainfart. I giggled for a a couple minutes when I opened that link. I thought, "I'd like like to see that thing installed on a bandsaw." :-)
Anyway..... Is 5-1/2" negotiable? You'd be surprised what you might have laying around the shop that is close to that diameter that you could use as a template for a bearing guide bit in the router table.
--

-MIKE-

"Dick Snyder" wrote

Yeah, that would be kind of hard to use on a bandsaw! Sorry about that ... I certainly meant drill press. Been doing that too much lately.
I've not any trouble using my General fly cutter in oak. The trick is a combination of DP speed and sharpness of the tool. Since my shop is no longer on the premises, I can't run out and look, but if it becomes something you are forced to consider, I do have the settings marked down, so just holler back.
Good luck ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

Make that a drill press and slow as you go.
My former landlord did it every day with an old Craftsman drill press in 11 ply Birch ply stock.
Clamp blanks to D/P table, make sure bit is sharp and go S-L-O-W.
Have fun.
Lew
"Swingman" wrote

Uhhhhhh.........., Swingman, could you post a picture of that thing installed on a bandsaw?
And maybe a video on its safe operation?? ;)
(It might work better on a drill press)
"Lee Michaels" wrote >

Jeeezzzus ... you guys sound like SWMBO!!
Hey, it's taken 60+ years, but there is finally some fallibility creeping in. :(
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

long thread here.. maybe this one was already mentioned..
I made my own 6" dust collection blast gates, so I needed to cut many 6" holes (wheels as scrap.. would have been pretty close to 5-3/4")
I made a simple router jig. They sell ones with the pin holes positioned for various sizes. I made one for my exact needs. It's basically a baseplate with a hole in it such that the math works out to cut a 6" hole. So the pin radius, plus gap, plus the bit size (used the smallest plunge straight bit I had) equals the radius of the circle. I think I used a nail for my pin. I cut the pin to be the right length as it was under the router.
example jig.. you can make your own if you only have a few sizes you want to cut. http://www.routertabledepot.com/cijimo300.html http://www.routertabledepot.com/cijimo200.html (you shoud now get the idea.. basically a baseplate with a pin hole to pivot the router around. The pin hole could well in fact be under router for smaller circles.
To hold this all together -- use double stick tape. I'd suggest good quality tape. You really don't want the piece coming loose. If I recall correctly the biggest annoyance is I wanted to cut the hole in the assembly -- which was two pieces of 3/4" material and one piece of 1/4" material for a thickness of 1-3/4". I could not plunge that deep, so I had to cut down on one side, and then flip.

Dick Snyder wrote:

Or you can buy a 5 1/2" hole saw. I have used sweet sawdust's sanding method with success. I also have mounted a cut out wheel on a carriage bolt of appropriate size. Thread a nut down and tighten on the wheel. Mount it in a drill press, spin slowly, and hold a rasp or sandpaper to it.     sweet jo4hn

<...snipped...>
Believe it or not there is a simply made jig for the tablesaw that will create perfect circles. You can find several examples by googling for "table saw circle cutting jig" or something similar. Here's one with some nice pictures I just found:
http://metalcast.boorman.us/circles.html
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

I'll be darned. That gets the prize for the most unique solution to my problem. Well, I have been given lots of options by the group as usual. I will report back after I do the wheels today to let everyone know what worked best.

Thanks all for your help. This group is the greatest! I went with the tablesaw jig. You have to make a LOT of passes to get a very round circle but it does work. If I were to do this again, I would probably go with one of the router ideas but for 4 wheels, it isn't that big a deal. I have saved all of your ideas for the future in case I go heavy into the circle making business!!

Thinking of going into the Merry-Go-Round business?