Cutting hole in tile

I'm building a cabinet the will support a bathroom sink, one of those round dingies that sits on the cabinet. The cabinet top will be ceramic tiled and I need to cut a four inch square hole in the center of a 12 inch tile for the drain hole. How would this be done?
John B wrote:

Masking tape, drilled holes in the corners and a jig saw with a carbide grit blade is probably the safest way.
Alternatively with a diamond tile saw you could very carefully plunge cut and make most of the cuts and then finish with a hand grit saw in the corners.
Pete C.
Use a diamond blade (or a cheaper abrasive blade) in an angle grinder. I prefer the diamond blades because they last so long. Also, cut outside as it's gonna get real dusty real quick. --dave

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you? http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

The angle grinder works well. So does the Fein detail sander/cut everything tool whose name changes in different countries and at different amenity levels. Woodcraft sells it, as do better contractors' supply shops.
I wouldn't use the jigsaw method. I would have an extra couple of those large tiles. Get some blue masking tape and a marking pen for layout, and cut through the tape. One of those really fine, disposable dust masks, too.
Have fun with this.
Patriarch, who did this last year in the master bath...
Use 4" tiles around the hole? WL

John B wrote:
> I need to cut a four inch square hole in the center of a 12 inch tile for > the drain hole. How would this be done?
Drill holes in each corner, then a Fein MultiMaster with a tile blade to complete.
Lew

Are the cut edges going to be exposed, or covered with an escutcheon of some sort? The angle grinder works just fine, but you'll want to practice a bit first if you want to end up with decent finished edges. And wear safety glasses...
Scott
http://canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id 08474396672928&bmUID64768690164&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id5524443249592&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true
-

First, choose the particular tile you need cut. Then carefully mark the location of the cut. Then you take it to the tile store and ask them to cut it.
There are rod saws for cutting by hand. A Dremel tool would work. I'd score it first in any case to avoid chipping..

I've cut several inside circular and other shapes with my drywall cutout tool (P-C, although a Rotozip would be fine, too) and the tile cutting bit that came with it. Depending on how precise your cuts need to be, some sort of jig would help keep the cuts straight. I did just that with a piece of cement board I milled up to use as a mounting block for my utility sink faucet.
If they don't need any particular precision, you could hand hold it reasonably well.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

email dkozakoi at cox.net and tell him your problem, he sells what you will need.