Curious: why would Amazon

Page 2 of 2

Well, I got five of my clamps today.. each packed individually. One was basically "shrinkwrapped" in light cardboard. The other 4 were packed in huge boxes (individually) the boxes were about 36" long, 16" wide and 12" high. When I came home, my wife said: HOW MANY CLAMPS DID YOU ORDER? Which was reasonable, since each box could've held at least 20 clamps. LOL.

I got four of the clamps in 36" long triangular shaped tubes, the fifth clamp was in the big box like yours and had one of the 24" long clamps in it. Each box had it's own shipping invoice with the clamp cost, rebate and shipping cost. Some cost the same, some didn't!
It still came out to $78.36
Gary
"GeeDubb" wrote in message

Forgot all about it, so just checked: Five separate shipments - two shipped today, one scheduled to ship on next Tuesday, and two on next Wednesday.
Hmmm ... Barry's order must of have depleted their stock.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:

You snooze, you lose... <G>
I only ordered TEN!
FWIW, they're coming in TEN shipments.

What a waste. I got 8 of my 10 clamps today. Each came individually boxed in the large size box as you describe. I only orderd 31's and 24's. Took me fricken forever to pop all the damn bubble wrap to get it into my dumpster. The interesting thing is, they just threw the clamp in there and then put all the bubble wrap on top....so the clamp wasn't even protected underneath. A damn waste of cardboard etc... in my opinion. They could have easily wrapped all 10 clamps up and shipped them in a single box. cc

But the weight... What worker safety regs are they working under? What will the carrier accept?
10 Besseys in a box might require two people or a lift.
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.

They certainly could have put more than one in a box, weight wise. I've ordered items from them before that are certainly heavier than 2 or 3 clamps and they came packaged in a box (ie. not a crate/pallet) so they have some way of moving heavier boxes around. The UPS guy commented as well when he delivered them that it sure was ridiculous but Amazon has that reputation for using way too much packaging. I did write to Amazon to let them know it was a ridiculous way of packaging these clamps. They gave me a $10 credit so I guess there was some good from it....oh, and I got 10 clamps for a pretty good price. Cheers, cc
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Maybe, but 2, 3, or 4 in a box would probably be fine for most sizes.
I just was notified that my 5 clamps shipped. All 5 shipped on 2-18. each clamp has a separate tracking number. 2 were shipped by FedEx Home Delivery - one is scheduled to arrive on 2-22 and the other not until 3-3. The other 3 were shipped by UPS Groundwith one scheduled to arrive on 2-22 and the other 2 on 3-3. Seems rather strange all around to me that they all ship on the same day but each shipper has different arrival dates on different parts of their share of the delivery. But the shipping was free so I guess I don't much care if it comes in one big box from one shipping company or in 5 boxes from 2 different companies on various dates.
Dave Hall

They probably shipped from different warehouses, hence the different arrival dates and shippers (being free shipping, they ship "best way", meaning whatever shipper has a truck at the door gets the package).
Beezlebub wrote:

2 31" clamps were shipped the same date and time to two different shippers. 2 of 3 24" shipped with one company and the other 24" shipped with a different shipper on the same date and time. All 5 with different tracking codes. Their business, I don't care.
Dave Hall