Curing wood

I've recently taken up wood sculpting. I cut down several dying turkey oaks on my property and have produced several works. I'm finding now that many are splitting and it looks like I'm going to lose all my work. Any info on drying out wood would be appreciated. I usually work with 4 ft by 20 in dia. pieces.
Dave,
Go on over to rec.crafts.woodturning and ask that question and you will get all the answers you need.
Bob S.

oaks

oaks
Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) keeps green wood from cracking.
Bernard R
from the murky depths:

Oil/Varnish/PET on the outside helps slow the drying, but coring the center (drilling it out with a large bit) might be the best bet for all of them. Try the guys over on rec.crafts.carving for details.