curing wood

About 2 years ago a 12 inch diam. branch from my maple tree came crashing down in a storm. (Almost hit the house.)
I just got around to getting the chain saw out and cut it up into some big logs and noticed it's beautifully spalted.
What the best way to cut and dry this wood to use it for some little woodworking projects. I was thinking of getting a lathe and doing some bowls. I really enjoyed that in high school shop class.
Any recommendations on how to cure this wood? Thanks.
limbs of trees give problems as they cure, twisting and warping amoung those. This type of wood is refered to as Reaction Wood. I never use it , might get by with small projects never use it in furniture, or any thing big.\\ Ken Kraay