crosscut sled

Hi..what is the best kind of wood, to make a crosscut sled? I have scrap plywood, but one side is uneven...I dont like it..cant screw the maple runners...thanks for anyone's opinion...thanks.
Hey, no fair. I posted 1st.......
RWS wrote:

In rec.woodworking

I made one out of 3/4" MDF and I just waxed if after. I'm happy with it. Here's a pic:
http://home.swbell.net/snaphook/Pics/cc_sled.jpg
RWS wrote...

Use whatever's at hand that will work. That said, I like plywood for the bottom and 1/4" baltic birch is darn near perfect, IMO. It's thin and stays flat. Hardboard gets dinged up easily, but it will work for awhile. Even so, I have one sled with a 3/4" MDF bed, but it eats up 1/2" more cutting capacity than the thinner sleds, and this has caused an occasional problem with thicker stock.
You can use any straight-grained wood for the fences. Even a 2x4, if you are lucky enough to have a decent one on hand.
Jim