Cross cutting a dado

I picked up a stacked dado set last week, and am working on building a simple bookcase. All the shelves will rest in dados, so I'd like to use the dado set to ensure a consistent fit.

Here's the problem: The outer supports are 6' tall, and two shelves must be at the ends of the boards. My table saw won't support a board that long without the board tipping.

I'm looking at building a side stand to support the extra length of the board, but was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion. I don't have a RAS.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Here in Europe, we do that sort of job with a router against a clamped guide.

In European factories, we'd do it with a sliding table on the cabinet saw (yes, we do have dado sets and the ability to remove crown guards). However big sliding tables cost money and need workshop space, so not many hobbyists have that option.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Router and dado jig.

Doug Winterburn

While the router jig method is a good way to go I believe you have a bigger problem that needs to be solved. Based on what you said it sounds like you are just getting into woodworking (Excuse me if I am wrong.)

The resolution is to build the side table as the need for it will not go away. Today its cutting dados, tomorrow its cutting plywood sheets, the next day it is cutting something else that is to big for your existing system.

The side table could be in the form of removable extensions on the saw, or in an actual side table.

I solved the problem by making a side table (for me it is my work bench) It is based on a 2'X 4' piece of plywood. The top is a frame of half lapped 2"X4" dados to accept the plywood. The rest of the bench is made from 2"X4", all joints half lapped. it has enclosed cabinets at both ends with a two large shelves between the end cabinets. The side table is on wheels.

The side table was carefully measured to be the exact height of my table saw when it is sitting on the floor for use. This side table can be used as an out feed for ripping long pieces of wood and as a support table for large sheet of plywood or long boards.

I like the system because as a part time hobbyist, I can arrange my saw and side table into the best configuration for the project that I am doing. Usually it is placed to the right and slightly behind me so that as I cut a pieced I can turn, place the piece just cut on the table, and pick up the next. All other tools; square, tape measure, pencils etc. are convenient on the side table.

As I have a small shop in my garage, every thing can be rolled to the side and the car placed in the garage when I am not working there.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Keith' got your solution if you want to use your dado stack.

My setup for the above is a folding roller table (sometimes 2) used as a side extension table for the left tilt table saw, and an mdf sacrificial fence on the table saw.

generally dislike cutting dados with a router unless there is no other way ... too slow ... and to do so on a workpiece that already has dados that have been cut on the table saw, it would be a last resort option.

Reply to
Swingman

Use "my design" router dado jig and your router.

Reply to
Leon

piece, if you decide to make your own.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:hn5hu1$6en$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Hm... half laps and rabbets. Sounds like a job for a dado stack!

You've mentioned wheels. Are they locking casters, or do you have a system where there's two fixed wheels and two casters? It seems to me locking casters would want to move as a board was slid over the top.

The side table as you describe it sounds like a worthy shop project in and of itself. It'll give me a good place to store the various saw blades and tools I need for the saw.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

------------------------------------ You can buy a commercial roller stand per Swingman's suggestion, or you can build one.

The commercial fold up ones do just that, fold up at just the wrong time or at least mine often would.

Unless you have welding equipment to build metal stands that are adjustable and provide stability, why not take a look at the roller stand that Norm built as a NYW project.

Adjustable, stable and relatively low cost.

BTW, build two (2), you will use them for almost every operation involving large stock such as plywood sheets or long pieces.

Have fun with your dado set.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I made my workbench the same height as my table saw. The saw sets at the end of my workbench, and acts as an extension for the saw for cross cutting. The saw is on rollers and can be turned 90 deg. for ripping plywood. Also my radial saw, is at the same height and sets next to the table saw, so they all support each other. The rip fence on the T/S makes a perfect stop for the R/S when making cutoffs. I have my shop a small 2 car garage and space is very limited.

Reply to
J MOHNKE

Clamp a piece of plywood to the crossmember of a sawhorse. Not elegant or sturdy or in any way graceful, but it will do in a pinch. If no ply then clamp on a couple of boards of any reasonable dimension and put a third across the top.

Or stack books, scrap lumber, or whatever else you need to use on a folding card table.

Or clamp something in a Workmate.

Or live dangerously and stack some bricks/gallon jugs/barbell weights/shot bags/unabridged dictionaries on the board to hold it down (keep them away from the blade--use a clamp across the board as a fence if you have to). That's a no good for narrow stock but the sides of a book case should be wide enough to hold them stably.

Or make a crosscut sled with a hold-down and enough weight to manage your boards.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4b96aa03$0$19143 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Just bumped one of them and it dropped down 5 inches. It looks like to get a good one I'm going to have to spend some cash. Does Festool make roller stands yet? (Where would the vacuum plug in?)

I found a picture of the stand, and it looks like a good replacement for the junky stands on the roller stands I have.

I do have plans to build an outfeed table for my saw, so an infeed/side table wouldn't be too much harder to do at the same time.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Unfortunately it was pre stacked dado, so I cut all dados and half laps on my table saw. For each half lap I carefully cut the end cut and then sliced through the remaining dado to remove the wood. (The end cut determines the squareness of the table.) Cleaned them up with a chisel.

As for the wheels on my table they are not locking but I have never had a wandering problem with the table. With a caveat, I used the wrong type of wheels. I used four hard rubber swivel casters. The problem after a few years the rubber casters develop flat spots. If I was to do it over again I would use steel caster no rubber or plastic.

Half laps are fun, you should try it, doing it the way I did it, it is especially fun taking out those slices and using the chisel.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

"J MOHNKE" wrote in news:QbudnUPbB9h5NgvWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@pghconnect.com:

I measured my bench. 1/4" taller than the saw. Rats. When I get the garshop switched around, I'm going to flip the bench over on its back and cut its legs down. Then put leveling feet in there so I can make sure it's exactly the same height as my TS.

I wound up raising the saw a little bit and getting close enough. The dados have all been cut, and it's almost time to test the fit.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I recently cut dadoes on the 7' sides of a bookcase. I used a 3/4" straight bit in my router and a clamp-on cutting guide. The 3/4" poplar shelves were so snug in the 1/4"-deep dadoes I had to sand them a bit so they would fit.

If I had a table-saw I'd use a couple of adjustable roller stands (which I do have) and a hunk of plywood to support the other end of the work piece.

Reply to
DGDevin

You must have a spectacularly Flat floor. Issue I've had with separate side tables is getting the tops of the saw and table coplanar.

Reply to
LDosser

...that's why they make decks of co-dependent playing cards!

cg

Reply to
Chasgroh

Human helper. Cost =3D 1 case beer.

Reply to
Father Haskell

============================ It's the closest thingh to a chunk of roller conveyor on a stable stand I've found.

As I remember, the drawings to build it are part of a "shop jigs" package which makes the $10-$15 for the drawing package a good deal.

I just looked, it's item 0603 and covers a stock cart, roller stand and planer stand.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

More work than getting out the router ... :)

Reply to
LDosser