countersinking

when i countersink timber for a screwhead my (6 or 8 fluted) bit often cavitates and produces a less than smooth csk. it seems worse on softer woods. please advise how i can improve. rgds Ramon
Ramon A. asks:

Get a 1 or 2 flute countersink. Otherwise, slow down the one you've got, and if that doesn't work, add a bit to the speed.
I'm not sure "cavitation" is the word I'd chose, either. Does it form bubbles or pits? Roughly, I'd guess it just roughs it up more than you like.
Charlie Self "Politics: A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. " Ambrose Bierce
It's called chattering, and I agree, a single flute bit cures it.
Charlie Self wrote:

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Or a three flute.

Has the bit become dull?
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Ryobi Reciprocating Saw - Infinity Router Bits - Incra Wonder Fence - Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener - Miller Dowel System ------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ramon,
This is quite common IME. Try running it in reverse if you have an awkward piece of wood.
HTH
Frank

Single flute countersink will help. You might also try countersinking before drilling the holes.
John Martin
Ramon A wrote...

This is a common problem when a multi-fluted countersink bit is used in a hand-held drill. Using a drill press (clamp the workpiece) helps. A single-fluted countersink or a Weldon-type bit is nearly essential when countersinking with a hand-held drill.
Jim