Cottage Sign

This pin-router thread has got me to thinking -- I could easily make a pin-router setup, and with a pin router, I could say make a really nice sign for a cottage.
Of course, I don't know anything about making signs. So, I thought I'd start a new thread. The idea would be to put something together, and then use my pin router to do the inlay, and roughen out some spots with a half round chisel.
So... a few questions that I can think of: can you biscuit join Cedar? How thick would you need? How would you finish it? (how would you paint it?)
Thanks,
John

I'm not sure a pin router is the best bet for a sign, if you mean routed letters into the wood, as opposed to making individual letters that would latter be glued or attached to a sign. With pin routers you attach a blank to a pattern and rout the blank to the shape of the pattern. It is not a panagraph type stereo tracing thing.
Regardless, yes you can biscuit Cedar but not sure it would be needed, depending on the case. I assume a cottage sign is an exterior application so use epoxy with good clamping until dry and you'll have no problem. Biscuits can help alignemnt of needed. Paint as you would any exterior house wood but cedar don't need it. Maybe a penetrating oil stain.

through, you would simply use a guided bit. But if you didn't want to go all the way through (like say on a sign...). I was looking at signs like this http://www.canadianimpressions.ca I can't tell whether the letters were glued on for this, but the closer I look, the more I think you might be right about that.
Also, this guy mentions 'sand-blasted cedar'... I happen to have a sandblaster... boy this weekends going to be fun!
(Check out the funny signs bit of the link above. I had a good laugh.)
John

Now, that's looney <grin>. A phone number, but no name or address. Hmmm.
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/27/2010 10:07 AM, John wrote:

He has a cut vinyl sign business as well. I would bet that he cuts the pattern on his vinyl cutter, sticks it to the cedar, and then sandblasts and everywhere that there's no vinyl gets cut away.

Yeah, this is not work for a pin router.
This would be best with a CNC router or on a smaller scale what they call an engraver (craftsman makes\made one), or a laser (which won't go so deep) or with sand blasting but in that case you need to make some pattern that will resist the sand, for the others you just need a computer version of the pattern.

I don't see much point in making the pin router anymore then (which is to bad, because I had such a good design for it to!)... sigh...
John
This would be best with a CNC router or on a smaller scale what they call an engraver (craftsman makes\made one), or a laser (which won't go so deep) or with sand blasting but in that case you need to make some pattern that will resist the sand, for the others you just need a computer version of the pattern.
Read product reviews for the craftsman CNC before you buy. If you do, you probably will not buy. Worst reviews I have ever read for ANY product.
--
Jim in NC

On 8/27/2010 9:21 PM, Morgans wrote:

The only ones listed on the Sears site are reconditioned. The Sears machine was a relabelled Carvewright. According to the Carvewright site they have a new version of the machine out that has been completely redisigned to address the problems with the older one.