cordless drill

Page 2 of 3
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:23:46 -0400, "Ed Edelenbos"

I recommend a corded Milwaulkee drill. It will last a lifetime and won't run out of power. There are better brands than Ryobi. A 14 volt is about right for general purpose.
Phisherman wrote:

The only cordless I ever saw that could repeatedly drill 5/8 x 6" holes in 6000psi concrete, time after time.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Phisherman was talking about the corded drill. I assume you are talking about the cordless, which won't last forever, unless you buy more powerpacks.
Phisherman wrote:

I had a corded Milwaukee and finally gave it away because I wasn't using it anymore and didn't want to see it just gathering dust.

I have plenty corded drills. With cordless drills being what they are, I hardly ever use them.
Ed
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:44:36 -0400, "J. Clarke"

I'm in a similar situation, but I continue to hold onto my corded Milwaukee hammer drill just in case I run into something that needs real power. It's a single speed, clockwise only drill about 15 years old, but it runs as well today as it did when I first bought it.
If they bury it with me when my time comes, I'll arrive at the pearly gates or maybe the gates to hell with a smile on my face.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

I don't use mine much, but I'd certainly never get rid of it and when you need it you NEED it. Can't imagine chucking up the 3/4" auger bit and drilling those dog holes in my workbench with anything less than the Milwaukee...
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Let me ask you about that. Do you consider an auger bit the preferred drill for dog holes? Have you tried any other types of bits to drill dog holes?
I've got a 2" thick maple bench with no dog holes at all and I was considering drilling a few.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

I think it depends on how "clean" you want them and what kind of wood you're drilling in. My bench is just made of poplar and it's a real workhorse, not a work of art, so I didn't much care about making super-clean dog holes. Also, auger bits are VERY hungry and if you're drilling in anything much harder than pine or poplar I've found that drilling a 1/4 pilot hole helps keep the bit from twisting your dang arms off and tearing the dickens out of the workpiece. I haven't tried using any other type of bit to drill dog holes.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:56:25 -0500, Steve Turner

Ok thanks. I'll probably end up drilling guide holes with a standard smaller twist drill and then go to a forstner bit to get clean holes. Considering the hardness of the maple, I expect I'll have to drill it in stages so the bit doesn't overheat until I'm almost through and then come back up until both sides meet.
On 10/21/2009 01:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

I need to do dog holes in my 2.5" maple bench. I happen to have a 3/4" router bit so I'm going to use that to get the holes started in my bench, then finish up with a spade bit.
Chris

That is probably what I would do.
"Chris Friesen" wrote:

Yikes!
Smooth holes! NOT!
Why not use a 3/4" hole saw with the pilot drill to get started from each end about 1/4" deep, then remove pilot drill and complete ther hole clearing waste every 1/4"-3/8".
BTDT
YMMV
Lew

Yeah I have not seen a hole saw that cuts smooth than a spade bit. And once below the surface does it really matter if the hole is perfectly smooth?

Woops! I see your point now. DOH!
Leon wrote:

Why not just spend the 10 bucks for a Forstner bit and be done with it? For one set of dog holes you don't need carbide.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Chuck upa forstner in a hand held drill?
I'll pass.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yep, if you're just boring straight holes and keep the RPM down it works fine.

What insures straight?
Leon wrote:

A modicum of coordination.
Start the hole with the router just like planned, then finish with the Forstner. The hard part with using a Forstner hand-held is starting the hole in the desired spot. After that they guide themselves.
Yeah, if you're using a 3-inch in a Hole-Hawg and get it crossed up enough to bind you can have problems, but a 3/4 in a cordless drill the worst you're going to do is fry the bit.