coping sled

I am building a new coping sled and I am wondering if anyone has any input.
After looking at several designs, I will not run it in the miter track. Just seems too problemaatic with fence alignment everytime. I plan to make it very long and have a followers in front and back that stand out about an inch from the edge and they run against the fence. Then, to mount a piece, I push the followers up against the fence first, then lay in the rail and push it up against the fence and toggle clamp it down. Then have a parallel piece in front of rail that slides in and tightens down to keep it from rocking. Also, I'll have a replacable sacrificial backer as well.
Any comments on the concept from experience.

Most of your post is too confusing for me to wrap my head around this early in the morning. Your comment about the miter track though...
I have to disagree. What's so hard about attaching a runner to the bottom of the sled and making a pass across the blade? Once the sled is built, there's never any alignment to worry with except putting your cut mark on the edge of the sled. The saw fence has no role when using a sled.
If you want accuracy, a sled riding in the miter slot will be more accurate than the saw's fence in many cases.

I'm not sure the OP means table saw coping sled, but rather router table? Which is it, Sonoma?
Yes, I actually ment a sled for doing the ends of rails on a shaper. Yes, it was confusing post. Needless to say, I just built is as I intended and it worked out fine.
Maybe pisc later with better explain.