continous tile flooring

Page 1 of 2

I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs and the flooring solution needs to offer easy clean up and be bullet proof durable.
Think crap, piss, afterbirth, blood and vomit from one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing a confined dog can do.
One option is ceramic with a splash up the wall, but I perfer something that wasn't inherently so cold. Latched on, nursing puppies get drug out of the whelping box and chill quickly.
I have seen continous vinyl floor used in hospital hallways that ran up the wall several inches on either side with radiused corners. Is the flooring made this way or is it laid against a form built into the wall?
basilisk

Damn, sounds like my old dorm room on Monday mornings!!!
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:19:49 -0700 (PDT), SonomaProducts.com wrote:

More similar than you might realise, some of the females are neat and clean, others, not so much.
basilisk

Sounds like my grandkids have been around...Hey, if cost isn't a great concern look up terazzo flooring. Continuous and seemless and seems like it goes up the walls a bit too. Check out this link.
http://www.masterterrazzo.com /
RP

I was thinking Barracks ...
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 03:27:34 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Then I'm damned glad I missed both. <shudder> And if I had my druthers, dogs would be debarked and all new dogs would be bred -without- their goddamned vocal cords.
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

per complaint would probably catch their attention.
wrote the following:

As it is now, owners can't be guaranteed to quiet their dogs, and pet owners appear to have a larger lobby than teachers.
The c*nt next door says she -wants- her dogs to bark, get this: to -prove- they're watch dogs! <thud>
When I'm king, all pets will be outlawed. Want animals? Go to a zoo or buy a ranch. Feh!
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
On 7/19/2010 3:08 PM, basilisk wrote:

how they rounded it up, but the installer cut the flooring to fit the area. Once they had all of the cuts and the floor covered they had a machine that used a hot wire to melt the flooring and seal the joint.
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:29:34 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

The room will be 9 and half feet X 15 feet, so I dont have to worry about joining the seams, if I can get the edges rounded up.
I could build the curve out of flashing and "great stuff" behind it, that would take a good quantity of foam though.
*snip*

If you're going to build up something out of foam, start with a base of the beadboard stuff or decent quality insulation foam (pink or blue). Then if you need something to adhere to the foam and flooring, use the great stuff. At ~$4 a can, vs $8 for a 4x8 sheet of 1" beadboard (prices are approximate and probably outdated) you'll quickly get more than 2 cans worth of foam for the same price.
Puckdropper

basilisk wrote:
<snip>

I'd think a mortared cove would be better.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

The cove doesn't have to have a big radius. The objective is to provide enough of a radius to allow the flooring to make a smooth transition onto the wall, avoid a sharp corner which would eventually crack, and to avoid having a tough-to-clean corner.
Mortar or thinset struck off with a screed cut to the proper radius is an easy way to achieve the correct curvature.
basilisk wrote:

the shelter where i work had a facility that had epoxy coating on the cement slab that went about 6" up the wall. that made it pretty easy to mop or hose out.
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:33:30 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

I'll look into the epoxy idea, unfortunately this isn't going to be where I can hose it out, but the ability to mop it easily is essential.

Wouldn't you rather just ride your bike into a deer? <sigh>
wrote the following:

Sorry, the link was on wreck.metalheads, not here, so you probably didn't catch my drift. Here ya go: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10199/1073671-100.stm
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 20:34:52 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Must have been severely injured and was aware of it, a rather unconventional approach to medicine.
basilisk

basilisk wrote:

I've buily two of them to use as cycloramas for photography.
The first was about 50 years ago. I built a wood frame and bent masonite to it. Fine for me, no good for you, too great a radius.
The second time I just ran mortar along the wall and stuck it off. Worked fine, radius was about the size of a softball.
--

dadiOH
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:20:43 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

I think you and Nova are right, the material to mortar in a radius will be cheap and won't take long to do.
At 9.5 feet wide I can extend the sheet flooring about 16 inches up the wall, which is a good 8 inches taller than a corgis butt, all the waste should wind up where it can be mopped.
Walls are going to be 3/8 plywood overlaid with 1/8 melamine hardboard, should be very durable and sanitary.
basilisk