computer drafting advice needed

I have been hand drafting for 18 years and always felt happy doing it that way.. Autocad always seemed like more than I wanted to learn..... But now with other options, maybe it is time for me.. I was told about turbocad , and then I see there is a furniture plug-in And I know there are other programs ... So what program do you think I should tackle.. I build custom furniture, here's an example
http://www.jlfurniture.com/Art_Deco/Art_Deco_Desk/decoangle.jpg
If I were to take this step, and big part of the decision would be good instruction books, or dvd's
I'm fairly good on the computer... Built my website..
Thanks for your input..
Joel
"dwolf" wrote:

Looks like you are also pretty good with a 2H pencil and a couple of triangles.<G>
As an old time lead slinger, I couldn't justify all the puter input required for the data bases before you get a payoff.
A quadrille pad, a pink-pearl eraser, and some H sketching pencils gets a lot of work done with little effort.
OTOH, if this is to be a puter learning experience, different ball game.
Have fun.
Lew
dwolf wrote:

Mighty nice work.

If you are using Windows, TurboCAD works pretty well, but it is a bit different than other 3D CAD programs. I've started using VariCAD (www.varicad.com) because I'm running Linux. I used to use TurboCAD but have found that the varicad tool is actually more efficient. For example, I would never draw out joinery in TurboCAD because it was quite difficult (I thought) to make mortise and tennon or other joints -- Varicad is much easier to do various milling operations.
They also have a Windows version; they are a bit spendy, but cost less than Autocad or Pro-E; I look at it as another tool.

About a month ago, I asked a similar question, seems the predominate answer was Sketch Up.

that
answer
And Sketchup is available FREE from Google. If you haven't used a graphic program before it's a great place to start, but it's not a drafting program. It's a very intuitive 3D modeling program with dimensioning capability. You may find that it's all that you need, or you may decide later that you really want to go with a drafting program. I use Sketchup for my concepts and then Autocad LT if I decide that I want to go further and make blueprints. Autocad LT is much cheaper than regular Autocad but it is restricted to 2D drawing and isometrics. Turbocad will also be a good choice, but I learned Autocad because I needed it for work, so the LT version was easier for me for personal use.
Charley

Sketch up is a great program and its free with lots of on line help. I have also used design cad 3D made by the same people who make turbo cad.
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com

SketchUp is definitely the answer. See my description at http://www.srww.com/google-sketchup.htm . It is free and easy to learn. I have posted an 8 part tutorial on my blog for beginners. Check it out at http://www.srww.com/blog . I have used TurboCAD for about 15 years to draw my furniture designs and recently switched to SketchUp. Give it a try.
Joe....

You'll hear a lot about Google Sketchup. My wife is a professional AutoCAD instructor, has done commercial office and building drawings, and is generally a CADD goddess. She started playing with Sketchup a few months ago, and fell in love with it instantly. Perfect for the casual users, interior decorators, and such who don't need to actually know hardcore CAD and drafting.
Try it--it's free!
Colin

I wandered around your website for a bit and your designs look great. I hope that the regimen of a CAD program isn't going to mess with your free flow of design. Fabulous stuff there, mate.
I use Vectorworks on a Mac, but it is a bit spendy. Vectorworks is also available for PC