Comments and suggestions welcomed for my shop plans

Okay, I'm getting ready to set up my workshop ... it's not very big and like many weekend woodworkers, I probably have too much stuff for too little room. But then again, my father did some fantastic work with far less space available in the corner of his old garage.

Anyway, here's my planned setup. I'd appreciate any suggestions for better placement of the various tools.

The shop dimensions are 11' x 18'.

The door on the far right comes in from the garage.

The door in the front is a garage-style door, only 6' wide. This will allow for easy access when I need to move things around, plus I can open it up during the spring and fall when the weather permits.

The first picture shows the planned placement of the power tools.

second picture shows the planned DC hookup.

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

I see the miter area and notice you won't be able to cut a long board since it is in the corner. Might I suggest that you mount all your tools on lockable wheels so that you can roll them to the center of the room when you need extra space. Then you can put them where you need them as you work and then push them back against the wall when they aren't needed. My brother did this in a small workshed and he can do a lot with the rolling tools.

Reply to
User Example

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"

Reply to
Morris Dovey

  1. Consider putting the bench and table saw back to back and more centrally located, and at the same height, thereby using the bench as your extension table.
  2. Consider adapting the "miter-saw-stand-sheetgood-lumber-storage-on-wheels" in the latest (Oct/05) FWW, to be positioned below the shelves where you have the bench and miter saw currently positioned in your drawing.
Reply to
Swingman

That's a good idea. I had planned on doing that for the table saw.

Oh ... the Miter Saw bench will be level with my regular bench. I was hoping that this would allow me to extend some longer boards to the left. To the right would be a problem.

Jack

User Example wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

I hadn't considered the orientation of the DC yet, but that would certainly help. For the table saw, I expect that most of my work on it will be crosscuts and not as much ripping. I figured that if I needed more aft space, I'd open the 6' garage door.

As another reader pointed out, I should have these things on movable platforms. Then I guess I could easily orient the table saw in the direction that I find most useful ... which I probably won't know until I actually start using it.

Jack

Morris Dovey wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

That would be a great idea if I had the right type of bench. My workbench is a beast and only is suitable for against-the-wall positioning.

A small cable IP development company was going out of business and they sold off their equipment to the public. My "bench" is actually an electrician's workbench ... build like a tank with 18 sockets, super heavy, and a gem to work on. I layers the top of it with a 1/2" high quality plywood and it worked great. It has really nice built-in shelving on its back.

I suppose I could wrench those off and position it against the TS like you suggest. I'll definitely have to play around with that idea.

Thanks!

Jack

Sw>>better placement of the various tools.

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Jack,

Others have made some valid suggestions and I agree that the work-flow will be less than adequate if you use that setup. Although you didn't say anything about future tool additions, a portable planer and 6" jointer certainly should be planned on. I have a 12'x20' shop and although cramped, I have all the tools setup with ductwork in that small area.

Plan for the extra tools now and avoid the hassle of tearing down your ductwork later and adding wiring (120VAC for planer, 220VAC for jointer). A rule of thumb that I found when planning my shop and asking here was to have a minimum of 7' space forward and aft of any stationary tool that you use. Most of the things we (hobbyists) typically make will have a max length of under 7'.

If you decide on the other tools and want some suggestions, let me know and I'll tell you how my shop is setup.

Bob S.

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:PcWdnXl5Ad_Fho snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
BobS

Bob,

I could see eventually getting to the point of getting a planer and a jointer ... but SWMBO has already let me go beyond my original limits for tool 'procurements'.

Regarding the DC ductwork, I'll use metal (grounded) ducting for the main tubings. Some people have said (in various articles I've read) that you should use flexible ducting from the main conduits down to the tools, to allow for some movement of the tool. Do you have any experience with that?

I'd love to see a mapping of your workshop. Do you have a link? If not, you can email me a picture ... snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Thanks!

Jack

BobS wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

I would consider putting your tablesaw up against the wall on the right hand side of the saw.You usually dont need to extend past the end of the rip fence. All your cutting is done on the left side of the saw. This allows full maximum use of the saw with least of amount of space being wasted. Have fun Guy "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:PcWdnXl5Ad_Fho snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
GMD

You might consider swapping locations of your scroll saw and miter saw. The scroll is usually for smaller work and would be OK in the corner position.

Reply to
C & M

Sorry, the last one got off accidentally. I was also going to suggest flexible vinyl tubing with wire reinforcement to assist with your grounding concerns. I like the ability to change my mind without major plumbing changes.

Reply to
C & M

Wow, that looks like a good sized scroll saw you have there - almost as big as your table saw. What is it?

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Where are you going to store Wood? With the price of it now days, I am starting to think that it may be a better invertment that a mutual fund. When arranging my shop, room for wood storage was the thing that I most underestimated. Of my non-turning tools, the table saw is the most used. It is centrally located, with same heigh work bench in the infeed end (with space to walk in between, and a large outfeed table. It isn't on wheels. Jointer, planer, small bandsaw, drillpress, and drumsander are on wheels. Chop saw and router table are fixed on a word bench. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

I was wondering about the tubing. The flexible type has those crinkles in it, right? Wouldn't that tend to get stuff caught in the tube? YOu know, like the cheap flexible tubing you sometimes see off of dryers. They catch lint like crazy.

What type of flexible tubing would be best?

Jack

C & M wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

The clear flex tubing doesn't catch enough crud to be a problem, although airflow is reduced, because the walls aren't smooth.

Your regular specialty wooddorking supply has a black 4" flex, which has smoother inside walls, albeit at a higher price than the clear. I haven't seen the need to 'upgrade'.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I'm sure you are tired of comments, but that won't stop me for an instant.

I'd swap the bench and miter bench to allow you to work on long stock.

I find the end of my bench to be very handy, for a vise, for sawing and planeing. I'd leave more space between bench and miter bench.

The Table Saw should be movable. Running long rips out the big door is handy.

I would need twice the storage space you've shown.

I'd add a 2x4 roll around bench at the same height as table saw, and other tools working surface. It is so handy to have a little extra work space.

Looks like a nice shop.

Walt

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:PcWdnXl5Ad_Fho snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Walt Cheever

I've had no problems with mine whatsoever. The only thing that could ever get is the odd sliver of a cut off that is flexible enough to get in there. The clear flex line helps find it, as does a clean out on the end of the run. But patriarchs remarks are correct and well taken. Smoother is better. Pricing varies with the available sales! Don't get yourself in too much of a sweat over the details. Just cover as many of the bases as you can and you'll be OK. One other thing.

Reply to
C & M