collar bone

Sorry about not posting for a while, but I've literally been in a sling. Around the first of the year, I took a header down the stairs here at home and did a number on my shoulder and collar bone. It was just a few days before we went on a 3-week cruise, to boot. I made it on the cruise, but typing and lifting anything over 3# are off limits for the time being. I'll be back posting in a few weeks if the bones heal OK, but until then I'll just be a lurker.
--
Nonny

It takes only 7 lbs of pressure to break the average collar bone. Actually a great defensive move for women, using a quick karate chop with a fist. Once it is broken the assailant will essentially loose the use of that arm. Break them both, them slap him and walk away.

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:37:00 -0800 (PST), the infamous

Bwahahahahahaha! I love it. <g>

Condolences, Nonny. Happy Healing!
P.S: Why did you take the header?
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw
novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com says...

Is this yet another silly urban myth? My first wife broke her collarbone when she totalled my car, didn't even register for quite some time. It certainly didn't slow her down or stop her from using the arm until she was ordered to wear it in a sling.
-P.
I guess there are breaks and then there are breaks. I have had my left collar bone broken twice in different locations. Once in an auto accident and once in football. This is how I became aware of the defensive utility of this injury from the female doctor who cared for me on one of my incidents. I can also attest to the uselessness of the arm. I could lift it but I surely couldn't do any useful work with it until several days if not weeks later.

In article <7f4fefab-cb76-42c4-8318-769459c17257@

Yeh, I see what you're saying. Alas, I was mostly replying to the 'break both his collar bones, slap him and walk away scenario.
Picture this: It is commonly thought that kicking a guy in the balls will totally and utterly incapacitate him, right?
Friend of mine was working in a home for very tough adolescent girls. One of them kicked him in the balls. It didn't stop him from lashing out, and giving her a knuckle sandwich that knocked all her front teeth out. (b.t.w. he never got any heat over that)(same girl tried to brain me with a 1 pound brass replica pistol lighter; narrowly missing my head from 10 feet away, I was working in the same place for 3 months).
So what I'm saying, a guy on an adrenalin high, stalking a woman with no-good on his mind, won't even notice that broken collar bone until several hours after he's beaten the crap out of her ...
anyway .... best, -P.

Your buddy's balls didn't incapacitate his arms. A broken collar bone affects the use of the arm. IOW, you have to be able to lift your arm to beat the crap out of somebody... just a hunch, mind you.

Because he missed the footer? <rimshot>

Man, my gut twisted when I read about the accident. Three and a half years ago I slipped on the wet deck steps, cleared three of them and clipped the bottom one and the concrete. I crushed T8 vertebra. It didn't give me much trouble until last year and worsened until I had to have a spinal cord stimulator inserted, now using narcotic patches and can't work. You did indeed dodge a bigger bullet than you realize. It's like that anytime we get hurt - it could have been worse. Glad that for the most part you are OK.