Cold shop?

Page 2 of 2

It's the Earth's tilt that determines seasons, yes.
The Earth is actually closest to the Sun in winter and furthest in summer, but the northern hemisphere is tilted toward the Sun in summer and receives more of those parallel rays and, hence, is warmer.
I have a problem with the maps, too, though. Because not only are solar panels receiving more rays in summer, but the days are also longer. Sounds like a good experiment for me to setup this winter.
Mike
Mike wrote:
|| Am I reading this correctly? Is this 'sun angle'? | | It's the Earth's tilt that determines seasons, yes. | | The Earth is actually closest to the Sun in winter and furthest in | summer, but the northern hemisphere is tilted toward the Sun in | summer and receives more of those parallel rays and, hence, is | warmer.
I wasn't aware that our orbit is eccentric. During winter the atmospheric filter is "deeper" and the sun is behind the horizon longer so that the daily heating period is both weaker and shorter.
| I have a problem with the maps, too, though. Because not only are | solar panels receiving more rays in summer, but the days are also | longer.
The panels would receive more direct radiation in summer if they were horizontal. A vertically-oriented panel actually receives less. Not only that, the glazing on a vertical panel reflects more of the light away during the summer (like a poorly silvered mirror).
| Sounds like a good experiment for me to setup this winter.
It could be interesting.

Kepler's first law of planetary motion: "Each planet revolves around the Sun in an elliptical path, with the Sun occupying one of the foci of the ellipse."
For Earth the eccentricity is tiny, though. Nothing like Pluto's. In fact, I think all orbits have to be eccentric to some degree...only two bodies of the same mass would wind up orbiting the same point equally.
Earth doesn't quite revolve around the Sun. They both revolve around a common point, which resides somewhere _inside_ the Sun, but not at it's center.
According to NASA (an article from 2001):"We make our closest approach to the Sun (147.5 million km) in January, that's called perihelion, and we're farthest from the Sun (152.6 million km) in July, that's aphelion."
I think it's all pretty cool.
Thanks for the update on the positioning of the solar panels.
Mike
Morris Dovey wrote:

<snip>
Im my area we've found out that solar powered devices require sunlight.
http://www.unpluggedliving.com/newsflash-solar-powered-stuff-needs-sunlight /
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:
| Im my area we've found out that solar powered devices require | sunlight.
Yup. Solar or not, it would seem like a good idea to have some kind of backup power arrangement.