Closet Cabinets

My wife wants me to redo our 10x15 master bedroom closet. Instead of buying those closet kits from HD we have decided to make this an education experience. I have some woodworking experience and quite a collection of tools.. Having never done cabinets before I was wondering what people recommend making the boxes out of... MDF? PB? PLY?

Well may I start off with the comment that I could easily put my master bedroom inside you master bedroom closet.
MDF machines and paints well and provides a smooth finish. But it is darn heavy and it can warp under its own weight. Cheap.
Paint grade plywood would be my choice trimmed on the front edges with a harder wood such as poplar and then painted.
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 23:07:54 GMT, "Leon"

I must agree w/ Leon...My bedroom would fit into your closet. What train did we miss?
The things we own end up owning us...Tyler Derden.

I have to disagree with this statement in an offbeat way.
I believe more in the "You can't take it with you" approach...
Lets face it when was the last time you saw a Ryder truck following a hearse?
Sorry but it is 6:45 AM and I am firmly tongue in cheek and not quite awake yet!
Big smile though!
When sending me an email, erase the .removethis from my email address or the email will get bounced back to you.

Is that a drive-by gloat?
Dick Durbin Tallahassee
No, its a drive-in closet... :)

Nope.. but telling you that my master bedroom is 600 square feet is.. ;>)

Gott'a be Texas... Only place I've lived that knew how to put the "Master" in Master Bed, Bath and Closet.
Actually I used to live in Texas but no.. I live in California now. Up near Napa.

;>)
ranted:

It's 10x60' to hold that lap pool, right?

--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity

Echo, echo.
White melamine is excellent for this owing to its brightness -- closets don't usually get much natural light. In a 10x15, a skylight would be great.
I taped mine white, but a very nice look can be had by simply edging the melamine with a hardwood. Half-inch or 3/4" solid hardwood edging looks much better than hardwood veneer tape. For an even more elegant appearance, use a full face-frame construction. Cherry fronts on white melamine looks fantastic and is eminently functional.
When you plan the layout, make provisions for about 100 pairs of shoes. No kidding. She'll love you for it.
Cheers,
Jim

You married an Imelda too, huh? :)
patrick conroy wrote...

Yep. (G) But it's not just us. Inadequate space for the lady's footwear is a huge shortcoming in most closet designs. I *was* exaggerating a little, but the average American woman has 30 to 40 pairs of shoes.
We designed my wife's closet -- of which she graciously condescends to share a meager portion with me -- to accommodate 50 pairs, and it's full up. *sigh*
Jim

been there done that... our master has 2 closets... hers and hers..
When my brother's last kid moved out, he converted a bedroom to a walk in closet for his wife... rumor has it that he gets to use some of the space in the master bedroom closet now, if he can reach over the stacks of shoe boxes.. lmao
Mac
I've got an article from Workbench (April 2003) that has plans for a closet system made from torsion panels. Horizontal pieces are made from a 2x4 frame and vertical panels are made from a 1x4 frame. All parts are covered in 1/4" ply and hardwood edging. The article shows this going into a "typical" closet of 2' deep by 6' wide, but if you can get a back-copy of Workbench you may see how to adapt this to your size.

Thanks.. that sounds interesting. I may have to see if I can find that issue.

education
of