Clear, durable finish for redwood?

Page 2 of 3
Hum - market possibly :-) Thanks for the pointer.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 5/23/2010 8:49 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

"Edward A. Falk" wrote:

Will they tell you?
Trying to get a color is strictly a "Cut & Fit" proposition.
Cetol by Flood is sometimes used on boats to protect the teak bright work on a boat.
Has somewhat of an orange cast that might fit your need.
Will have to experiment.
If you don't have a stocking lumber yard, check a West Marine.
Lew
wrote the following:

Aw, just Penofin that puppy. It's semi-transparent and slows greying considerably. I haven't used it but have seen it on several projects to good effect. They like the Red Label the best. Nobody I know has tried the Verde (Spanish for "green") eco-safe no-voc version. "Clear" is the least offensive color, IMnsHO. ;)
Ferret out your best local price. It's spendy, but everything which works is nowadays. (As are many things which don't, like our CONgress.)
-- The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. -- Madeleine L'Engle
On Thu, 20 May 2010 16:04:09 -0700, Larry Jaques

Oops, I jsut saw a comment that the clear allows the wood to go gray. Uckfay atthay itshay.
-- The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. -- Madeleine L'Engle
On 5/20/2010 4:16 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Esyay. Anksthay.
--Instonway
On 5/20/2010 4:04 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

http://www.penofin.com /
Sounds like serious stuff.
Thanks, Larry.
--Winston

Here I am in a city of 700,000 and there's no place to find Penofin. Las Cruces, NM is the closest...........45 miles.
Max (mutter, mumble, gripe)
wrote the following:

Where you is? Que Paso, um, I mean El Paso, Texicus?
I almost went through LC but I found the shortcut between Deming and Hatch. It was a wild ride that day. I was barreling along at about 80 in a rented Crown Vic when a crow dived to a few feet above the highway and aimed himself directly at me behind the windshield. He veered off just in time. Just after I'd slowed way down, a sheet of rain hit the glass and I was blinded. Quickly looking out the window, I slowed and stopped, still on the roadway. It was over in a minute or three, but it was the heaviest burst of rain I'd ever seen or felt in a vehicle. I stopped cursing crows after that. He probably saved my life.
What I didn't do is repeat "Oh my God!" and "I've never seen anything like that." a minimum of fifty times over the course of a 4 minute vid. 'Course, I didn't see hail. ;)
-- Perfect as the wing of a bird may be, it will never enable the bird to fly if unsupported by the air. Facts are the air of science. Without them a man of science can never rise. -- Ivan Pavlov
And that, my friends, is what's doggin' global warming extremists. -LJ
wrote

The hail you say! How do you know it wasn't a Raven? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chihuahuan_Raven
"Nevermore will I go to Hatch; not even for the chiles."
Max
wrote the following:

I'm sure it wasn't. It didn't bark at me as it flew by.

Whose children?
-- Perfect as the wing of a bird may be, it will never enable the bird to fly if unsupported by the air. Facts are the air of science. Without them a man of science can never rise. -- Ivan Pavlov
And that, my friends, is what's doggin' global warming extremists. -LJ
On 5/21/2010 7:51 AM, Max wrote:

I have a high end wood monger proximal so I'll check with him.
--Winston
On Fri, 21 May 2010 08:51:47 -0600, Max wrote

When I lived there, a place called 'Cashway' had it. Look in some of the 'smaller' lumber yard type stores.
-BR

Cashway is history, long since. They couldn't compete with the Borgs. I've phoned all the "small" lumber/hardware stores in the "book"; no luck. El Paso is notorious for not having anything that's not in high demand. But there's a Ruby Tuesday's in Las Cruces and SWMBO likes to eat there so off we go. {:-)
Max
On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:53:32 -0700, Winston wrote:

There may be quicker and easier ways to treat your gate but anything worth doing is worth doing right, here's my method.
If you didn't use stainless steel fastners, now is a good time to correct that oversight, some of the chemicals may be corrosive.
First you will need to build a metal pan deep enough to submerge your gate with it laying flat and block it up aroundthe sides with some of your neighbors pavers (you can return them when through).
Now is a good time to get beer, while you are at the store getting borax, get a case and a half and three boxes of borax.
Fill the pan with water and start a fire under it. I recommend you use some old tires, foam rubber, plastic bottles and maybe some heart pine for fuel. feeding a fire is hot dirty work, the smoke will keep the flies, gnats and mosquitoes out of the neighborhood while you work, everyone will benefit.
When the water comes to a boil dissolve all the borax that will go into solution, and lay the gate in pan and bring back to a boil. After the gate has boiled for 10 minutes put out the fire and let cool until the next morning. Do this three days in a row, don't laugh, at one time all wood was treated this way, it is highly effective even if it is a little slow and messy.
On the second and third day walk your property line and look for neighbors pets that may have ingested the solution and that are sick or dead, collect them in garbage bags and place in freezer, you can use your freezer or one the neighbors if they have one on their back porch. Don't forget to move them before they are discovered. You may want to keep the cats for a push stick.
After the third day you have to dispose of the borax solution, if there is a tree leaning over your property line that you don't really enjoy, that would be a good place to dump the solution. Always think ahead and try solve two problems at once.
Let the gate dry for a couple of weeks. Fill your pan with paraffin and bring to frying heat and put gate back in pan, cook for 30 minutes. Put fire out and wait until the wax is down to 200 degrees, this will ensure that enough has penetrated the wood and it will be thin enough to drain completely and leave a nice finish.
Disposing of the wax is more of a problem, it won't soak in the ground, so you will have to carry it at least two houses away from yours.
Return the pavers, they will look fine even if they are a smoky and cracked up.
Use the pan for a drip pan to park the car over. Rehang the gate, if you have done this correctly it will last at least 25 years, by then most of the neighbors will have forgotten about the missing pets, smoke and trees dying.
basilsik
humidity.

That's how I did my gate but I had a helluva time finding a pan big enough. Makes a great drip pan though.
http://tinyurl.com/24og5z3
Max
On 5/20/2010 5:59 PM, Max wrote:

Pretty, Max!
--Winston

Thank You. I'm sure you didn't take me seriously when I mentioned a pan big enough for that gate. {:-)
Max
wrote the following:

He'd turn to the gents on Wreck.Metalheads for that one, of course. It is quite doable, y'know.
-- Perfect as the wing of a bird may be, it will never enable the bird to fly if unsupported by the air. Facts are the air of science. Without them a man of science can never rise. -- Ivan Pavlov
And that, my friends, is what's doggin' global warming extremists. -LJ
On 5/21/2010 9:37 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)
Yup. But as you say there are quicker more expensive ways to tackle the problem!
--Winston
On 5/21/2010 7:46 AM, Max wrote:

I took it as seriously as the rest of your funny article.
Funnier still is that for organizations of a certain size, the huge pan would probably be the best approach.
--Winston