Clear, durable finish for redwood?

Page 1 of 3
Hi all.
I just finished installing the fence gate that I mentioned about a month ago. SWMBO informed me that she likes the redwood grain appearance so I would like your advice on a fast inexpensive, great looking coating to preserve the look of the wood. This is out in the "weather" (1) 24 x 7 so durability is most important.
Thank you.
--Winston
(1) San Francisco Bay area 90% "Weather": Bright sunshine with light drizzle possible. 40 F to 85 F; limited humidity.
On 05/20/2010 01:53 PM, Winston wrote:

Spar varnish. Thin the first coat or two so it "sinks in" better.
Chris
On 5/20/2010 1:57 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

Very good. Thanks, Chris.
--Winston
On 5/20/2010 5:23 PM, Winston wrote:

Personally I'd go for a penetrating stain purpose made for redwood decks and fences.
Whatever you use, if it's a clear finish you're going to have to maintain it regularly--that means inspect annually and usually recoat every couple of years, in some cases after stripping the finish. Clear finishes just don't hold up well in exterior applications.
Read all the instructions carefully, and understand that the people who make the stuff are _serious_--you can't cut corners or the stuff is going to look like Hell and come off in patches in a short time--also don't try to follow some generic procedure--different materials have different applications requirements. If it says "pressure wash and coat in two hours" then pressure wash and coat in two hours. If it says "sand and wait three months" then sand and wait three months.
On 5/20/2010 4:06 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

OK.
Thanks!
--Winston
Chris Friesen wrote:

i'd try on some scrap first.
Chris Friesen wrote:

NOT.
Varnish, especially spar, or even poly or LP, just won't cut it on redwood.
Need a penetrating oil, applied every 6-9 months, depending on exposure.
BTW, cheap and fast are mutually exclusive in this application.
Lew
On 5/20/2010 4:23 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I suspected as much.
Larry's Penofin sounds like a better contender.
--Winston
yep - when I lived in a Coastal Redwood forest it was touch or do it all every fall. Just before cool days set in. Winter rains would pound it.
I measured (using my pro 10" to the .01" gauge ) 90 to 100 inches. One year it was so bad that the ground jellied. It was about 6" deep.
My deck 24 feet in the air - was about 1800 square feet took two and half landings to get all the way down. We lived in the house for 18 years and it passed inspection when we sold it.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 5/20/2010 6:23 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I have two (shop-built using Norm's plan) redwood adirondack chairs and a small knee-high redwood table and these are kept outdoors on the deck. In winter, I bring them in, tighten any loose bolts, sand, and coat with Flood's product (it is called CW? or some three letters I can not recall). This darkens the wood and protects it for up to two years. Not as durable as paint, but it never peels and very easy to apply. The label says it dries in 48 hours--I say give it a week of drying for the stickiness to go away. Sanding removes the gray color and the finish almost makes the redwood look new again. The furniture is about 15 years old, still sturdy and looking very good.
wrote the following:

CWF, or Clear Wood Finish. OK stuff.

I hate gray wood. Keep up the good work, Phishy.
-- Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal
On 5/23/2010 6:09 AM, Phisherman wrote:

Cool! Thanks!
--Winston
On 5/20/2010 3:36 PM, chaniarts wrote:

Copy that. Thanks!
--Winston
This is out in the "weather" (1) 24 x 7 so durability

If you put Spar Varnish on this it will look fantastic and shiney for about 11 months. Then it will start to peel. No problem, simply sand of every bit of it at that time and then reapply. Repeat every 11 months... forever. Even on a front door that is only partially exposed, the best you'll get is two years off any varnish. Aslk any boat owner about the word "refit."
I would suggest a penetrating oil finish, specifically Penofin if you can find it. Get a few quart cans or find a good store that has samples of redwood with the finish applied. Even the clear will change the color and they also have stain colors but I am telling you redwood is beautiful when oiled. yes, you need to reapply, probably once a year but just slosh on another coat.

OK, three votes for Penofin or an analog.
I will begin looking for a local supplier.
Thanks!
--Winston
wrote the following:

There are only forty one dealers within 50 miles of 95116. http://www.penofin.com/location.shtml
-- Perfect as the wing of a bird may be, it will never enable the bird to fly if unsupported by the air. Facts are the air of science. Without them a man of science can never rise. -- Ivan Pavlov
And that, my friends, is what's doggin' global warming extremists. -LJ
On 5/21/2010 7:20 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yup! Turns out it's available across the street and down a ways from Pinecone Lumber.
Thanks again!
--Winston
Only 102 miles to the local store :-)
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 5/22/2010 12:42 AM, Winston wrote:

On 5/22/2010 9:25 PM, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Wow!
I couldn't do that!
--Winston
On Sat, 22 May 2010 23:25:31 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"

Here ya go, Martin: http://fwd4.me/Pcv $12 s/h is cheaper than a long drive using 10 gallons of gas, eh? Use UPS diesel instead!
-- Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal