cleaning starrett rulers

Hi, I have bought some old starrett rulers, combo. squares,etc. How does one clean the rulers, etc.? there is some black rust, that I cannot wipe off with W.D. 40. I am afraid to use fine (400) wet sandpaper..any ideas?

Thanks. Robert

Reply to
RWS

RWS.....

Seems to me that I read something on the Starett site about how to clean the rules. They use several different metals and finishes on them and it varies from the year it was made to the quality of the tool.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I have a few Starrett combination squares which I bought in my youth... some 40 years ago ! A bunch of Stanley's, too. These old fellows have seen a few facelifts in their time and the beauty part of quality measuring tools is that they have their increments stamped or cut into them so wear and tear doesnt effect their ability to measure something...

I just shine them up with some 0000 steelwool when they get too tarnished to read.

Reply to
oakman

I am not recommending this to you because I don't know the particulars of your ruler, but I have used a combination of WD-40 and 600 grit sandpaper (the black stuff) to clean mine. It worked very well.

Bill

Reply to
WORSS
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

If you take a sheet of crocus cloth or very fine emery cloth & fold it up you can lightly polish the tarnished finish away without removing too much of the finish, when it looks good wipe it clean & give it a very light spray of clear acrylic.

Works for me..

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN