Cleaning Brass Post Office Box Doors

I've bought some old POB doors to make banks for the grandkids.
Having trouble getting the doors clean. Have tried soap and water and brass polish but they are still only about halfway there.
Anyone have experience with these?
Thanks, Rick
Rick Melson wrote:

Brasso and elbow grease followed by spray lacquer.
Lew
"If" they are really solid brass, Brasso will be more than happy to clean that door.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 25223&cp&kw=brasso
One other thing to look at, is if the door has a "clear coat" spraryed over the entire surface. If so, that will need to be stripped off prior to polishing.
Rick Melson wrote:

Rick Melson wrote:

Back when I used to play drums a lot, I used a cymbal cleaning compound that you would wipe on, let it sit and wipe off - really easy to use. You should be able to find it in a good music store (one that sells drums!)
Mike
Bar Keepers Friend and a toothbrush. Jana
Rick Melson wrote:

Tried the Barkeepers Friend and it worked great -- it does take a bit of elbow grease.
Also tried the Mother's mag/aluminum polish -- it did not work quite as well on these heavily soiled doors.
Thanks.
Rick

Bar Keepers Friend and a toothbrush. Jana
Rick Melson wrote:

Mother's mag and aluminum polish. Works just as well on brass. Years ago, when I was in army basic training, the brass polish of choice was Brasso as that was what was available in the PX. One of the guys in our barracks brought a can of Mothers with him. He was told, after the first inspection, to either supply it to the rest of us or use Brasso like everyone else. It's that good.

CW wrote:

One of the guys in our barracks

Mother's makes many fantastic products.
I've used their silicone free waxes, rubbing compounds, and plexiglass compounds and cleaners, none has done less than totally impress me!
As they're not cheap, I see them as another one of those price vs. value demonstrations.
I'll second the Mother's polish suggestion. I spent several months this spring polishing a 1965 Airstream. First with rubbing compound and then the final polish with Mother's. The results are stunning! --dave

Dave Jackson wrote:

I know some folks who do the same with polished airplanes.
Damn, it's gorgeous when the metal is clean!
Fri, Nov 3, 2006, 12:57pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (BARRY) doth sayeth: I know some folks who do the same with polished airplanes. Damn, it's gorgeous when the metal is clean!
How about a pickup? Too much work for my taste. http://www.jimmyshine.com/BareNekid-index.htm
JOAT If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.
J T wrote:

Actually, that's very cool.