Chest/Bench

I'm thinking of making a chest/bench, I'm not sure what it's called, but I need something to put at the end of my bed. I want it to be like a chest, but be able to sit on it, maybe putting some kind of foam and covering with material. Does anyone have any pictures of something they made? Or seen any designs somewhere that they may be able to forward me to? I would like it stained cherry colour and was thinking of usinig birch, any ideas on this?
Thanks,
Glenn

I don' t have a picture of it and cannot easily get one right now, but we made a few toy chests about 30 years ago. It is essentially a box and hinged lid. The top was covered with a piece of 2" foam rubber and then Naugahide. It is the genuine Naugahide, not the cheap imitation you see so often.
We made these chest from 1/2" plywood over a 2 x 2 frame. Three families, each of us with two kids. One was destroyed by the kids in three months, another was still intact ten years later, ours is still in good shape 30 years later. My wife uses it for storage now.
Google is your friend. You can find plans for hundreds of chests from very simple to very complex. Pick one that is in the range of your talent and ability and have at it.

Anyone else remember the official mascot? My recollection is of something that resembled Taz. But most of my memories from that *period* are fuzzy.

My mom's an upholsterer, and has one of the original Naugas. Looks like this (but doesn't actually dance...
http://homepage.mac.com/lowengard/nauga.gif
Dave Hinz
HopsNBarley wrote:

Blanket chest, maybe?
If you want something that <looks> like cherry, <use> cherry...(see recent thread on walnut from poplar) :(
Rockler has plans for a couple of chests that look like they would suit your needs. Look here at their cedar chest and blanket chest plans:
http://www1.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID 83
HTH, Tom Dacon

Here is a plan for a blanket chest: http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/BlanketChestPlans.html
Rick
Thanks, this is a good one!
Glenn

HopsNBarley wrote:

I can't think of were to find a picture of one but there were blanket chests made that had a padded vinyl or naugahide seat on top.
If you put a raised piece of molding on the back and sides of the lid, like the splash guard on the back of a kitchen counter then a seat cusion or pair of seat cusions of the type commonly sold for use on chairs with wooden seats will not slide off the back. Maybe loveseat cusions are sold that would be the right size? Also, there are people who make things like that custom.
--

FF

Here in the land of the Great White Queen we call them 'ottomans'. A google using that term may help.