Chess Board and CD Rack

I had a few days off over the holidays, so I tried to put them to good use making sawdust....
http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/holidayprojects.htm
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

Very nice. I'd like to do a chessboard like that for my son. How difficult was it to make the top? Any tips?
-Jim
jtpr wrote:

Start by gluing up 8 alternating-color strips in whatever width you want the final squares to be. In other words, for a 16 x 16 board, use 2" x 8" strips. Once this dries, recut the panel into 8 strips again going in the opposite direction across the two colors. Now if you invert every other strip and glue them back together, you are left with a perfect chessboard (hopefully). I came back and glued trim around the outside edges just to finish it off.
It was not too hard, but I would caution that you try to be very precise in your cuts. I have a cheap table saw with a fence to match, and that made the process a little more difficult than it should have been.
Charlie
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message

Well done!
--