Checks in wood

Are checks in wood bad structurally? I don't mind that it has checks provided it doesn't harm the wood structurally. I'm planning on lining my horse stalls with this wood.

Thoughts?

Reply to
backinthesaddle2006

Yes they are very bad. Horses, as you may well know, are very discerning and tasteful. They would notice these checks immediately and refuse to have anthing to do with a numnuts that would dare expose them to checks. You may have to present these checks to the horses first for aproval and show ID.

Reply to
cselby

It is common sense that they detract from the structural integrity. If they are shallow and thin then it is minimal, however if they are deep and wide you can end up with a relatively weak piece of wood. Caution on the species as well. As you probably are aware, horses chomp away at stall railings, caps, etc. It is best to cover easily accessible areas with galv sheet metal.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

Checks do affect strength in structural applications, but lining a horse stall is not really a structural application. Pretty much all wood checks to some degree, and minor checking is figured in to load tables. Checks occur primarily in the weak axis, meaning the strength is affected primarily in the strong axis. Since the lining would experience only loads along the weak axis, checks won't affect the stall lining strength to any appreciable degree.

RicodJour