Changing tools from 115v to 230v...need switch

I have quite a few tools that I want to switch from 115v to 230v...yes, they are able to be switched but come built with 115v. I am looking for a switch to use for them. The tools are Jet 6" Jointer, Jet 1100A DC, bandsaw and my table saw.

Looking at the Jet jointer and DC, they use the same type of switch

18AMP125V . Can't find a 230V version of it..

I am certain others have upgraded their tools and I was wondering where they got there switches from.

TIA, Karl

Reply to
Karl

Didn't check the prices but these are usually pretty cheap.

's possible that you can use the one's you have if they are DPDT (double pole double throw) as the amperage will be 1/2 of the 110 draw when you switch to 220.

Of course a better alternative is a motor starter which will provide some protection for the operator and the motor.

Good luck

Reply to
A.M. Wood

Reply to
A.M. Wood

Very often when a manufacturer builds a tool and installs a dual voltage motor, they install a DPST switch (as the other responder mentioned) and switch both the hot and the neutral when the motor is wired for 120V. If that is the case, you will only need to change the jumpers at the motor and change the plug on the end of the cord, as the switch will automatically break both hots when the motor is wired for 240V.

The switch doesn't need to be rated higher than 125V because no contact ever switches more than 125V regardless of which way the motor is wired (providing a DPST switch is configured as I describe).

You do, however, need to look and make sure that is the case, and not rely on internet advice from players of unknown knowledge and experience.

Reply to
LRod

You shouldn't need a new switch. For example, page 5 of the user manual for the DC-1100A shows how to convert the wiring for 230V operation.

Nova

I'm pretty sure LRod got the short answer right, but you could always contact Jet for confirmation. (Or probe the switch and observe the present connections to confirm how they're actually wired and the type of switch.)

Personally, I converted everything except the bandsaw to magnetic starters if they didn't already have one for the additional comfort of no restart if lose power for the "really scary" guys like the jointer and tablesaw. The bandsaw is a "not so much" and since it's the one smaller-scale tool still in the shop, it's actually still just 115V but if/when I step up, it will get the same treatment.

I was fortunate to find a passel of old Rockwell/Delta motor starters at an auction a long time ago for a throwaway price so wasn't much more than a couple bucks/tool. You can get moderately inexpensive small motor starters at various places including Dayton from Grainger. I think they are an expense well justified by the safety factor.

Reply to
dpb

Actually, a DPST (double pole single throw) is all that's needed, and much less expensive than DPDT.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes you are indeed correct. I submitted a second post correcting that error. Doesn't seem to always show up though.

AMW

Reply to
A.M. Wood

I did call Jet and they told me that switches that come with the tools would work for 230v. I also looked at the switches for the bandsaw and tablesaw, they actually state on them they are good for 30A 115v or 20A 230v. The bandsaw was the hardest to re-wire since I had to take the motor off completely to remove the end which allowed access to the 'plastic piece' that needed to be moved to change to 230v. The other motors, I just followed the sticker on them and changed the wires around.

Did a test with each machine after re-wire to verify I got it correct and I did.

Karl

Karl wrote:

Reply to
Karl

It's great that worked out for you. Was it difficult to track down the information from Jet?

IMO, for larger motors, using 220 is definitely better than 110 so . Did you have to change the wiring at the switch or was it just at the motor?

AMW

Reply to
A.M. Wood