cast iron rust protection

What do y'all use on your machines to keep the finished cast iron surfaces from rusting ?
I bought SLIPIT Woodworkers Sliding Compound applied it liberally and buffed it, but there are some rust spots appearing on my new machine. This is the first new cast iron tool that I have owned and I would like to keep it in good condition.
Thanks, Charlie
Charlie H. wrote:

Paste wax.
er
--
email not valid

In a humid climate, TopCote. Well in any climate, TopCote. Apply 2 heavy coats buffing between each. Paste wax with out silicone works for some but did not for me in a humid climate. TopCote goes a long way and lasts a long time.

Johnson's Paste Wax, and a dehumidifier in the shop.
--
Regards,
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 16:42:30 -0600, "Charlie H."

Paste wax
Paste wax is all I use. If you are expecting to keep it shiny like new, expect to sand it from time to time. Not a good thing. It will get dark. Doesn't hurt it a bit. Red is bad though.

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 16:42:30 -0600, Charlie H. wrote:

Use.
I have had excellent results with an aerosol can product "Top Coat" available at most woodworkers supply locations.
Don Dando

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 16:42:30 -0600, "Charlie H."

garashop late last summer which certainly makes a difference in rust problems. I live about 30 miles SW of downtown Houston where the dew point is around 80F half the year.
I still wax my hardware about once a month, maybe just out of habit now, but why risk it? It doesn't take much time, and is something constructive to do while "pottering" about the shop. Besides, I like the way the wood slides across the tablesaw after a good wax session.
I have a theory about waxing metal, in that it is similar to seasoning cast iron cookware. Takes a while to get all the pores in the metal filled, but when you do, a lot of the rust issues go away.
When I first started shooting muzzleloaders almost 30 years ago, I used to have a lot of problems with rust. I'd detergent clean, scrub, hot water rinse, dry, then oil with some gun lube or the other. Then somebody told me about "seasoning" a bore using natural waxes and lubes. Made sense to me at the time so I tried it for a while. That while is now more than 25 years. I'm convinced it works once you get the barrel seasoned properly, and have been using this method on my muzzleloaders, table saw, jointer, etc ever since.
Regards, Roy <put an 'rp' in front of the zip code to reply by email>

So Roy, do you live in Richmond/ Rosenburg? I am about 15 miles SW of DT Houston.

or a bit further in?

SW Houston, about 1 mile from Stafford, The Meadows, and Sugarland. 59 and Belfort area.
Thanks to everyone Charlie