Can this air compressor be repaired?

As I was firing up my very old air compressor the other day I hear a little pop and the hissssssss of escaping air. Turns out a pin sized hole popped open in the bottom of the tank. Is there a way to repair this kind of damage or is it shot?

It is probably starting to rust out at the bottom. The weakest point just gave way and if you repair that spot it is highly likely that the next weakest spot will show up shortly.

I think that's nature's way of telling you to buy a new compressor. Usually there are tanks around with dead compressors on them, maybe you can find one and make a 2-for-1 kind of fix.
The tank is shot.

< snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

If you got one pinhole more are probably on the way. Think about replacing the tank if the rest of the unit works well. For a temproary repair you could put a blob of epoxy on a sheet metal screw and screw it into the hole.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
My neighbor, who sells industrial air compressors for a living, has a rule: Never repair tanks. Any tank in need of repair is too dangerous to keep around.

I agree, but feel compelled to note that asking a salesman if you should buy something new, is like asking your barber if you need a haircut.
Pressure tanks should _never_ be repaired. Even low pressure tanks like a compressor uses - there is way too much energy stored in there to risk anything with it.

I also agree but feel compelled to note that often the Pharmaceutical Sales Rep knows more about the new drugs than the Pharmacist.

...and the EMTs know more about how to remove a motorcycle helmet than the ER docs. Yup.
Replace the tank if the rest is working OK
John
On 19 Jan 2005 06:26:03 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

On 19 Jan 2005 06:26:03 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

The tank is most likely rusted out. If it's more than 10-15 years old, time to replace it. If you'd rather attempt a repair, sand/clean the hole area down to the metal (about the size of a quarter) and mix up a small batch of the epoxy JB Weld. I've been waiting for the day that air compressors have an easy and efficient way to remove moisture and prevent rusting. My portable 5-gallon tank is date stamped not to be used past 2007.
Warning!!! this can be hazardous!!!! If you want to do it clean the hole to new metal NO RUST AT ALL. Hole can be no larger then 1/4 inch maximum. Force the J B weld into the hole, more inside then outside and a goodly amount outside. Allow J B weld to dry for at least 24 hours. I have a serous of five holes along a seam in a tank that I repaired this way and they have held for 3 years now. I use the compressor and then allow it to drain of air. I have another compressor that I use full time. I don't think I would use the repaired tank full time with this type of repair though, it is at best a stop gap until you can find a new tank. Air tanks can do a lot of damage when they give way.

You really shouldn't offer this kind of advice. Just because you claim that it is hazardous does not make you any less libel if someone follows it and gets hurt. That tank is dangerous and should be discarded and the same goes for the one you repaired.

"Sweet Sawdust" < snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

I guess that it depends on the people involved but I have seen people sue for less an sometimes win.

LOL, thanks.

What is so hard about opening the little vale on the bottom of the tank?
They also make automatic drains if you want to spend a few bucks.
Brian Elfert

Not hard, but easy to forget sometimes. I am not sure if I'm done with air at any given time, and there are many days I don't even use the compressor. Where can I get an automatic drain?

Can the tank now!
Your tank holds pressure but the fact that you have a breach is indicative that the structural integrity of the tank is well beyond it's safety margin. When an air tank blows it is like a bomb going off, complete with shrapnel.
--

Roger Shoaf